Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

newbie question about saltwater

I was thinking about trying my hand at mixing my own saltwater. The cost is getting to high for me to continue buying my saltwater (30g 2-3 days) RO/DI water in my area is MUCH cheaper. Can any body lend some knowledge on this subject? What type of salt that is better? Reef Crystals vs instant ocean vs Kent? Do I have to add buffers to raise ph? What about Kh&Cal.? How long to mix it before putting into the tank?

I wouldn't call my tank a Reef, but I wouldn't call it a FOWLR. I have fish and some Lps, Mushrooms, and Inverts

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and it's great. Very high quality, and great results...I've heard you don't even have to dose anything (depending on how many corals you have & the type). Between the choices you said, I'd say Reef Crystals, that salt is pretty good and Instant ocean doesn't include all the additives (if not doing a reef then you'd want to get that salt). I use B-ionic 2 part system for calcium and alkalinity...they have directions on diluting and mixing and dosing.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase35
I was thinking about trying my hand at mixing my own saltwater. The cost is getting to high for me to continue buying my saltwater (30g 2-3 days) RO/DI water in my area is MUCH cheaper. Can any body lend some knowledge on this subject? What type of salt that is better? Reef Crystals vs instant ocean vs Kent? Do I have to add buffers to raise ph? What about Kh&Cal.? How long to mix it before putting into the tank?

I wouldn't call my tank a Reef, but I wouldn't call it a FOWLR. I have fish and some Lps, Mushrooms, and Inverts
I use reefcrystals for 5 years now with regular waterchanges you shouldn need additives unless heavily stocked with coral i use calcium reactor tho cause i have sps dominant
Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use tropic Marin pro-reef and just dose with 1 drop of pro-coral iodine daily and perform a 50 ltr water change every 2 weeks ! I switched from instant ocean 8 months ago and find the pro-reef way better ! I also have a TMC v2 r/o unit works out way cheaper in the long run ! The unit cost me £125 with a tds monitor and it's payed for itself already !

Tags
newbie, question, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com