Newbie question on test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always wondered about this. When testing for basic water parameters, most kits require you to wait 5 min for results. If you wait longer does the test reflect more accurate, less accurate or the same results?

The reason I ask is I tested for NH3 last night and the test came back ok. I forgot to dump the test tube and when I looked at it this morning it appeared my NH3 levels were now reading in the .25-.50ppm level which is obvious reason for concern as they have been 0 for over a week.

If it is accurate, I believe the cause be a dead snail or two. I am also wondering if my new pumps could be to blame by stirring up possible stagnant areas?

ya if it just sits there for a long time, it will eventually change. Mine do that too when i dont dump them. just go by what it says about 5 minutes after you do the test

I agree. They will change color if you let them sit for more than the time it tells you to. As long as you follow the instructions on testing and wait the required time, I'd go by those readings.

As for the snails, do you have hermit crabs in your tank? Mine like to kill snails for their shells.

Ran a fresh test and it came back 0.

Yes, I have some tiny blue legged hermits. The only snail casualty I am certain of was a turbo that got stuck in a PH intake. I have remedied the problem but was not able to retrieve the turbo. When I turn the PH off, the snail fell behind the rocks. I am assuming it is RIP.

Back
Top Bottom