Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any clues on a decent and affordable refractometer?

Maybe one like this
I have zero experience with this instrument.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Sorry, I'm still experimenting with the VB code to paste a URL

Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I have that same one and have never had trouble with it. Just be sure you dry it and keep it in its case. It's a good bargain.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks fine. You may find one cheaper on ebay. I have never heard a complaint on any refractometer even the generic ones.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #14
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, I took Brenden's advice and removed all but 2 of the big shrimp. Refractometer on order. Titanium heater, still looking around but on the radar screen for purchase.

Noticed tonight when I stirred the argonite sand I still had considerable cloudiness issues although the tank is looking much better.

Brenden, I've held off on using the old Diatom filter to help clear the water but want to ask you why you recommended not using it. I don't want to seem argumentive but I wonder what your reasons are. It would seem to me the Diatom would drastically help with the cloudiness issue. Possibly because it interupts the initial cycle???

Another (I think) important issue for me. When I tested the SG tonight I got very low readings from water dipped from the top of the tank, about 1.020 and much higher readings when dipped from the bottom of the tank, about 1.026. To me this indicates poor water circulation and stratification. I'm guessing I need to add more powerful power heads to keep things a bit more stirred up. Am I thinking right here?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

A couple of new questions. After reading some of the thousands of posts on this site for the past week I have to come to realize I don't know squat compared to some people here. I probably should have started my thread in the Getting Started forum.

My water is still cloudy but getting better everyday. The cycle has begun as the ammonia levels are shooting up.

On a 100 gallon set-up such as mine, which I intend to turn into a reef:
1. Do I need a refigium?
2. Do I need a sump and if so what size?

I have an old 26 gallon flat back hex that I plan on setting up as a hospital/quarantine tank.

I'm somewhat confused on these subjects.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

A fuge and sump are nice. A fuge is really a personal preference. It will help control your NO3 with use of algae. If you keep a minimum bio-load in the tank with lots of LR I would not get one. I definitely recommend a sump. Also not a requirement but makes your tank look so much better without heaters etc cluttering your tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com