Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is your tank and did you cycle it?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wow thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. i have a great feeling about this forum! this is my first time on a aquarium related forum.

to answer some of your concerns

i have the stock power compacts that came with the nano cube 28g.

i also agree the fish dont belong in the nano cube, but my wife insist she wants the tangs when we visited a LFS over the weekend, i had no choice but to take them home...

i don't plan on leaving them in there for long though, i'm already searching for a 150g+ tank setup.

and about the cubic puffer i mentioned earlier, it's actually a cubicus boxfish....

i have some concerns about my tank, i hope you guys can tell me what's wrong..

the bigger naso blonde tang isn't very active, he likes to hide behind the live rocks and he doesn't come out to eat, but since we just got him for 2 days, and the lfs told me it takes a few days for the naso blonde to get used to the new tank.

the clown fish is getting a little weird, he used to be active and swims all over, and when we first got the anemone, he swims near it all the time. now he just stays near the top around the left nozzle, and he's not eating.

the small blue tang and the boxfish are the most active, they eat a lot and go everywhere.

the anemone, (not sure what it's called, its got red base and pink tentacles) i can't figure out if it's doing ok, it kind of buried half of itself into the sand. i tried moving it a few times onto the rocks but the current always move it away and end up near the rear of the tank.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
is back to save the day!

Under these circumstances, i think i would blame all the problems your seeing on the size of your tank. I mean.. putting a tang in a 28G tank is like shoving a 4ft child in a 2x2 wooden box. Pretty sad.

About the anemone, i doubt that the current is moving it considering nems can move wherever they please, and when they feel comfortable, they station themselves with their foot(which happens to be that "red base" you identified). When anemones are comfortable, they do not move, and they stay in one position of their liking. When they are stressed out, they will move around trying to find a spot to their liking. If you see the nem constantly moving around, that's an indication that he's really stressed out and a stressed out nem, is never a good thing to have.

Just as reference for the tangs, like Mitch said, they need a minimum of 125G.. preferably the 6ft 125's, not the 4ft ones.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also in addition to what Kev said about the Nem, PC's really aren't enough. What you need are some T5HO/VHO or better yet, metal halides.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

Yup, i agree. But take in to consideration that VHO's don't have as good of reflectors as T5HO's do, so your best option, especially with a tank as small as the 28G, would be T5's or Metal Halides like Mitch said. Personally, i think one 150w or 250w Metal Halide pendant for that 28G tank would allow you to keep any corals you wanted, the nem, and even clams. You can accomplish the same thing with T5's, but you would most likely need a fixture with many bulbs to match up to the Metal Halides. Metal Halide pendants only need one bulb.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

cubicus boxfish Is only for the most advanced Aquarious and needs at less a 125g tank. When stressed it will release a toxin called "ostracitoxin" which will quickly kill all inhabtance of that tank. Not good at all for a beginner. I would not put one of those in my tank.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

You still have not answered my question about the age of your tank and if how you cycled it?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
You still have not answered my question about the age of your tank and if how you cycled it?
sorry i was overwhelmed by the enthuthiasm of this forums

The tank was cycled for about 2 weeks then i started adding stuff in it, i bought ocean water from lfs, and then i put in api's stress zym to help bacteria growth and calcium 5 for the live rock.

i know it's not cycled long enough, reason is i bought the tank used from someone locally, he had the tank running for 6 months, it was still running just days before he put it up for sale. it had live sand and live rocks in it and a little bit of water when i got it. then i added some more live rocks to it.

i brought some water from my tank to the lfs and they tested it and it was ok.

about the cubicus boxfish, i was told the same thing by my lfs, they said it's hard to keep and is poisonous when it dies. but again, my wife wants it in the tank no matter what... 8-O

i can't really tell if the boxfish is stressed, he seems to be the most active fish in my tank so far ...

i'm planning my new tank already so hopefully by that time i can move some of them to the new tank if they are still alive...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your gonna have to make your wife understand. It's cruel to keep these fish in such a small tank.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #20

I tried to explain it over and over... how sensitive saltwater aquarium is and how they will eventually die.. but she just doesnt get it. another reason i can't convince her because i'm a newbie, and i'm not experienced, my last tank was a disaster.... lol i had too much stuff in a 15g tank plus 120+deg summer, the fish were cooked.

Tags
28g, filter, filters, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com