Newbie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremiah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have read the sticky about the basic equipment and dont see sump/refugium under "basic equipment" on the link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html

I am researching a lot of aspects of the hobby and am curious what the benifts of such a setup is? It isn't mandatory, correct?
My understanding is that the filtration should be enough from the skimmer and LR, so what does this sump system do?

I just purchased a 56gallon cube tank with stand and am researching online and buying books about reef tanks and this seems to be a great source of knowledge to help me better understand the hobby.

Thank you for your help,
-Jeremiah

the sump alows you to add more live rock and micro algae so you dont have to to see it in your tank also it alows you to hide your skimmer and your heater. My tank never realy came alive untill i put a 30 gal sump on it now my coral has grown 10 fold in a small amount of time and i dont have nitrate problems anymore . that being said the most important filter is live rock and water changes every 2 weeks of like 20% of your water( tap water is a no no and will cause you nothing but problems so use ro or ro/di water .

Welcome, keep asking questions and remember that the answers you get here are based on real life experience. You are well on your way to sucessful tank by not rushing. Post pics often so we can see your progress.

Back
Top Bottom