Newbie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iahawks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Starting my first saltwater aquarium and I have a few questions.
I'm on tight budget and would like to start off with a minimum setup and buy as I advance, since my wife is not as excited about this as I am. Not starting off with corals but would like to eventually advance to that in the future.

What I have:
- 72 gal bow front aquarium without overflow system
- 2 powerheads (1250 gph each)
- 75 pounds dry reef saver rock from bulkreefsupply.com
- Heater
- RO/DI system

Rock & Substrate
I am planning on adding 7-8 lbs. of live rock. As far as sand goes can I buy dried sand and mix it with live sand? I realize it will slow down the cycle, but would allow me to cut costs? What would be a good ratio of live to dead sand?

Filtration
I've been doing a lot of research and have found that you can use your live rock and sand as the only filtration system once everything turns live. The more I read into this I am starting to think I need a mechanical filter. I was planning on buying a hang off the back refugium further down the road. Would I be be better off getting something like an AquaClear 110 now or would that not do much for my size aquarium?

Protein Skimmer
Protein skimmer I heard is not necessary if your willing to do 10% water changes once a week, but I plan on getting one in the future. Is this correct?

Lighting
I plan on buying T5 lighting after my tank is done cycling.

Thanks so much for all of your help! All advise is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom