Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

My experience is that when people say powerhead, they mean a pump with one inlet and one outlet. (Think inlet pipe and outlet pipe.) A circulation pump is kind of like a fan underwater. The fan part is surrounded by a cage of some sort to help keep critters out.

The Maxi Jet Pro line by Marineland is convertible between a powerhead and a circulation pump. I have used these, and they are a good value for the money, BUT the mounting system stinks. If you use the clip version, it might be too close to the water surface to keep from sucking in air and making a lot of noise. If you use the suction cup mount, the suction cups tend to not hold very well for more than a day or two, and the pump falls a creates a sandstorm in the tank.

If you're looking for a circulation pump, I hihgly recommend the Hydor Korallias as a good value. They use a magnet and suction cup mount that holds very well and are pretty quiet. The down side is they are kind of big.

There are several other brands out there as well, some of which have a boat load of features, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

I will say i have used Aqua Clear powerheads, and they are workhorses and last a long time, but tend to be a little loud IMO.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went with my friend who's dad use to own a petshopand she now owns a ton of fish stuff Ina few storage units , I'm going this weekend to te unit to see if she has anything I can use ill take pics and upload when I go, to see if there is anything I can use I would rather get it from her than buy Iyar a store to save money

Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a good plan I'm sure you can find something.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can someone send me a pic of their power head i just want to make sureim looking and thinking of te same thing y'all are
Please and thank you
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just want to say how much I hate autocorrect! Sometimes it makes me look like I'm typing drunk. Either changing words or cutting off letters
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003C5...sr=8-4&pi=SL75

I think this is actually a circulation pump. I got it the other day. I like the flow it's giving me in my 5 gal.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 power heads rated 250 in my 20g they are really the phs for the bio cube lines but fit just nicely in my tank and good current
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha I don't got a pic right now but I can post one when I get home. If you describe what it looks like I can probably tell you if it's the right thing.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep looking at power heads online and they look like filters I'm just wondering how they fit into a tank, where do they go, I see the fan looking things in everyone's pics an I thought that's what y'all were talking about but idk
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I just realized how much I don't know about marine tanks and its sad

Tags
cycle, newbie, questions, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« sumps | Corals! »