newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Powerheads just go wherever you want them, usually people will put 2, one on each side facing each other. Wherever there are dead spots or you feel there needs to be more flow, experiment and put it there. You can also point one towards the surface for surface agitation. It's okay, everything is new and we've all been at the place you've been. Looks like you have a specialty for FW though :).

Basically, live rock is the perfect biological filter. But in order for it to filter the water, you need flow to push the water around the tank. Also, you need to mimic ocean currents to keep the environment as close to natural as possible. Some people even use wave makers to make little waves in their tanks. Those are mostly used on larger tanks and I don't know if you can use one on a nano tank. You really don't even need a hang on filter. I used one to start off since it was how I got water movement. I'm going to keep using it because I have it. I stick a little peice of filter pad in it because it catches any large debris, and I rinse the pad every over day so nitrates cant grow on it.

Annakhil said:
I think I just realized how much I don't know about marine tanks and its sad

It's not sad! It's good you are learning!! We can't know anything about anything until we make the decision to learn about it.

Don't feel discouraged about not knowing much. 6 months ago I knew absolutely nothing. I didn't even have a fish tank much less know you could even have a sw fish tank. And now look where im at :)

I just got done changing my sons 10g to a 20Gallon longthat was a lot of work! There were sooooo many cherry shrimps now his 6 little fish look lonely, guess ill be heading back this weekend and getting him some more rummynose.
I am trying to not let everything with the salt tank get me overwhelmed. I know I will get it set up just going to have to be a smart shopper, I talked to my bf and we made a compromise. My mother wants a 100g salt(Although I would be the one cleaning/maintaining it ) and I wanted to start small with a 10g so we decided where we would put it. Measured and found thatwe could do a 36g bow front in the kitchen. It is large enough to have the same fish we wanted So it works out.
My question is should I use the 10 as a sump? Is that too small? Or would a canister filter me better? If canister which one works better with salt. I have an eheim on my 29 but use fluval hob on the 20 so I like both brands just not sure Which one would work better?

Ok just went to my LFS, it's family owned and specialize in marine tanks, the main guy johnnie basically went through everything with me and we he is finding me a tank and stand to fit my dimensions since he said bow fronts are fine but leave little room on the sides for fish to swim after rocks are properly stacked. He said they have a reefers of Louisiana meetup thre every other month, ppl trade or buy everything so I could find some sweet deals when I want to stock. I will know Tuesday the dimensions of the tank and I was wondering when the next group buy is on here cause I need a RO/DI unit and some power heads.

The next group buy starts Oct 30. PM your name and email to bavass to get on on it.

In a group buy how much off is the products and do they give you a list with the prices so I can choose what I want

I haven't done one yet, this will be my first. But this is how I understands it works: go to BRS and make an account, PM the account email and name, then on the day the buy starts an email will be sent to you. Then you go online and buy stuff and I think it's 20% off, but I might be wrong on the amount. Then I think after your first purchase, you are upgraded on their site and get a percentage off all the time, whether its a group buy or not. If you sign up for the group buy, you're not required to purchase anything, if you change your mind or money is short when the buy comes up, you can just not go online. But you can't join after it starts.

Went to my guy at the LFS and I got the price for everything to set up from tank, stand, lights, water, rocks, skimmer, filtration, power heads, everything! And I'm looking at 1400. Looks like we are getting a 75g forgot to mention. The lights are probably the most! Round $400 LEDs with three settings. I got voted out for having a calm community tank, for a semi-aggressive, with a dwarf lion fish being the star of the tank I'm trying to push them to go to a 90 gallon since it has the same footprint just different height

Back
Top Bottom