Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Newbie Questions.

I just added a new protein skimmer to my 55 gal tank and its producing a lot of micro bubbles. Are the micro bubbles harmful to fish or other livestock or are they just ugly? It's my understanding that it will take a few weeks for the skimmer to break in and them the bubbles should go away. Also I have heard that some additives can react with the skimmer to cause micro bubbles, does anyone know if Prime water conditioner is one of these? I realize that these are probably dumb questions, I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack22
I just added a new protein skimmer to my 55 gal tank and its producing a lot of micro bubbles. Are the micro bubbles harmful to fish or other livestock or are they just ugly? It's my understanding that it will take a few weeks for the skimmer to break in and them the bubbles should go away. Also I have heard that some additives can react with the skimmer to cause micro bubbles, does anyone know if Prime water conditioner is one of these? I realize that these are probably dumb questions, I really appreciate any help. Thanks.
No question is a dumb question. The micro bubbles are not harmful, just ugly and make you angry :/ they'll be gone in a few day to a few weeks. It helps to rinse them through with hot water. I do not know about the prime water conditioner reacting with the skimmer so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help. I also had a question about food. I have heard that feeding a varied diet is important. Currently I'm just feeding a marine flake food. Can anyone suggest a quality food or combination of foods to feed? How often should I feed? Here's my list of livestock:

2 oscellaris clowns
1 Coral beauty angel
2 yellow tail damsels
1 green chromis
1 royal gramma
6 snails (mixed)
10 hermit crabs (mixed)
1 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know I and alot of other people here, buy frozen food and or fresh seafood and make our own concoctions to feed fish.

Just feed so everyone gets some. The shrimp and other inverts will getthe leftovers that fall to the ground.

I recommend mysis and cyclopeeze as a couple frozen foods.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Frozen mysid shrimp is my favorite store bought frozen marine food. New Life Spectrum makes great small pellets for the fish you have. I'd ditch the flakes. They break up into dust and can give you algae issues over time. If you decide to make your own food get some vitamins like VitaChem to add to the mix. It's great stuff.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com