Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to stradt03
Newbie Questions

Hi, I'm jason and this is my first post, I just picked up a 150 with all the hardware (or so I THINK) and I just have a few questions about setting up the tank.

1) what kind of water do you use to mix with the salt? I've heard I can use tap water and I've also heard that I have to use distilled water...HELP

2) I have a wet/dry system, how do i get the syphon going from the overflow to the tower?

stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The best water you can use is reverse osmosis/deionized water (from the fish store), but hauling 150 gallons is not practical. Some people use tap water, but you will have to add Stress Coat or another type of chlorine/chloramine remover to it. If you go to the grocery store to get water, make sure it is prepared using reverse osmosis. It should say that on the bottle. Most people eventually buy their own reverse osmosis unit for home use. It clears all the harmful junk out of the water, which lowers the chance of algae, fish sickness, etc.

If you have the wet dry that has an in-tank and hang on the back of the tank overflow box, you will need to start the siphon by running a small piece of tubing up the U-shaped tube that connects the in-tank box to the overflow, and sucking it. If you have a built in over flow in the tank, it will start itself when the water level gets high enough.

AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
First things, first...can you list what equipment you have for the tank? As for water, like mentioned, RO/DI water is the best option but not really practical for filling a 150 for the first time. I would go ahead with tap for your first fill and use RO/DI for all freshwater top-offs and SW water changes.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to stradt03
thanks for the welcome, I have a wet dry that has the overflow that hangs on the tank. blow is a link to my wet dry.

i'm using tap water but I'm also usingthe stress coat to help with the chlorine, my next question is with the hydrometer, its reading low (green safe level is below the water line) do I add more salt to make the hydrometer rise out of the water?

more pics of the set up will be on the way soon

stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
WELCOME, This is a great forum.
adacaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com