Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie questions (nano tank)

Hello there! I'm in the process of getting a 29g FW tank up and running. Once it's fully cycled, I'll be moving my five neon tetras that I took in into that tank, leaving me with an empty 5g bowfront acrylic tank. I was thinking of maybe taking my first venture into SW and making a nano tank..

Could someone give me the low-down on the costs associated with this? I don't want anything fancy.. just a beginner SW. What equipment will I need?

tnunderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
My first advice is to go bigger. A 5g is a really under taking
even for an advance saltwater person. The problem is that the water in a 5g can change so fast. that most people can't handle the change in water parameters. It is alot easier to start off with a 40g and learn the ropes of keeping the water parameter and temp as well as SG in check in a larger tank. I am not saying that it can't be done but it takes allot more attention and is so easy to go south.

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would also go bigger as thincat said. The nice thing is that even if you went just a little bigger like another 29g or around that size the expense of setting it up will be about the same. Most of the equipment for saltwater is either not tank size dependent or sized with the minimum around 20-30 gallons. Most of the filters and lights will be approximately the same for a 5 as they would be for a 29. Not always exactly but close.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the prompt replies

I'm currently living at home, and so I have no room for an additional tank unfortunately. 29g is the biggest I could fit in my room and I went FW because I'm already experienced with FW. I guess I'm just going to put the 5g under the 29g and have it running out of site and use it as a QT.
tnunderwater is offline   Reply With Quote

nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com