Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
newbie ?s

Hi all i really want to get into the salt water tanks but dont have a clue as where to get started.I would like a 45 or 50 gallon corner style tank because i dont have the room for a 55 long tank or anything that long.Would a corner tank be good for a sw tank?Also ive been reading some of the other forum questions and i dont know what live rock is or a reef tank.Do the live rocks have stuff growing off of them?I dont want just a fish tank.I would like to have those rocks if they start growing things on them or the reef setup.Also whats a good book i can get to read on setting up tanks for newbies and what would be better for a newbie starting a sw tank the reef or live rock.Thanks for any info

banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have to recommend you read the Conscientious Marine Aquarist. It will give you a great head start. Most people who fail in this hobby do not do the necessary research before jumping in. Corner tanks are fine for SW. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
i agree with phases, make sure you research EVERYTHING before you purchase anything because you can lose alot of money if you dont have everything just right. And the live rock is the rock you see in these reef tanks. They have bacteria and all those goodies on them that help clean your water and plus they look good. They will also produce shelter for your fish.
mandarin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Don't forget to read the Articles on this forum.
After you've done some research you'll be able to ask some focused questions and receive lots of help from the members here. We've all been newbie's and most still are
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com