Newbie setting up first time SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay,

I am venturing into the saltwater world for the first time. I have a 40 gallon corner acrylic tank, I will be using, with a wet/dry filter.

I have been reading as much as I can online and am learning by the minute, but wanted some "live" advice from you guys.

My initial plan is to keep things pretty simple, I am looking to keep maybe 3-4 small, non-agressive fish, and maybe a couple shrimp or something similar.

Several questions....

1) What is the best way to cycle to cycle the tank? Is there a quick way?
2) Live rock and live sand, would this have any benefit to me? I am just using regular lighting, nothing fancy.
3) Is there any other equipment (skimmers, etc.) that I should be adding to this?
4) Any other advice for the beginner would be much appreciated. The more I learn now the less money I throw away later.

Thanks in advance!

First of all.. Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)
hobbes said:
Several questions....

1) What is the best way to cycle to cycle the tank? Is there a quick way?
Never be in a hurry to do anything. The best way to cycle a tank is with uncured LR or the use of a cocktail shrimp. How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish
2) Live rock and live sand, would this have any benefit to me? I am just using regular lighting, nothing fancy.
LR yes but not neccessarily the sand unless it is from another mature tank or properly loaded with live organisms. Wet bagged LS you find online or at the LFS is useless IME. For a FOWLR tank, as long as you can provide about 80-100 w of lighting, the coralline on the rock will be fine.
3) Is there any other equipment (skimmers, etc.) that I should be adding to this?
If the bio-load is kept light a skimmer is not absolutely neccessary. A good alternative is a refugium with macro algaes for nutrient export. Water changes on a regular basis will also aid in keeping the tank healthy. It really depends on what you keep.
4) Any other advice for the beginner would be much appreciated. The more I learn now the less money I throw away later.
Read, read and read some more. You have already discovered AA, so the rest should hopefully come in time.

There are several great books available that will help you in getting started in the right direction. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner and Christopher Turk is a great beginning.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom