Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
Because you've got a tall tank I'd go with 3 pinnacle's. Build up a bit taller around the sides to mask your equipment and put a medium one in the middle and have some lower rubble spilling out toward the front. Almost like a W with smaller reef in the front of the tank. It would be easier to show you a picture but it's in my head right now... Do what you think will look cool, I scuba dive so I've got eccentric ideas and can't wait to get the hang of doing SW and move to a larger tank. I've got a pretty small tank but here's a link to my build page I was told to keep open pockets on the bottom of the tank to allow for flow and help to prevent certain bacteria from growing. I tried to put in some swim throughs for the fish and have some over hang. I've got a total of 5 pieces = 15 lbs. I'm not saying my way is best it's just what I like. As Mr.Myagi said, "Close eye, see picture. Open eye, make like picture." I love the classics... Have fun!

That sounds like a good starting point. I will attempt and see how it goes. I'm thinking a curved "W" might be cool. I was also thing of some live plants but that is still up in the air at this point. I believe I have 32lbs of live rock and 60lbs of live sand. Still have another 57lbs of rock to go. Seems like a lot till you start putting it in place. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What types of plants? 57 lbs of rock gets you to 90 lbs total. You don't have to be at 90, I think that's the maximum, but I'm new here to the SW world as well. 60 lbs of sand 1.25 inch sandbed? Those rocks in the pic must be bigger than they look cause they don't look like 32 lbs of rock. I'm lookin forward to seeing your tank move along. Keep the pics coming.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't think it looked like 32lbs either but the one big one is really heavy. I'd like some that's more porous to finish off. I have no clue what type of plants yet. I know I want a clown and a blue tang but I haven't researched the plants yet. An anemone or two would be nice but I don't know. It's still up in the air.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post
I didn't think it looked like 32lbs either but the one big one is really heavy. I'd like some that's more porous to finish off. I have no clue what type of plants yet. I know I want a clown and a blue tang but I haven't researched the plants yet. An anemone or two would be nice but I don't know. It's still up in the air.
Here's a place that looks reasonable on the plants, I may look into this but will do some more research first as I'm not sure if I've got enough sand bed. Check this out!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

My sand bed is about 2.5 to. 3 inches. My 45 is aprox 36x13x23. I would think I have plenty of sand bed. Some of those plants look promising.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now I've got to post pictures of my rock to get help in determining what is growing on them. I had a crab if it survived. I haven't seen it since I put it in the aquarium. I also have a worm or sea cucumber maybe and 3 sponges. I'm just guessing on the sponges.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is on my rock?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1713489409.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	155837   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-328354581.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	155838  

Name:	image-1789842617.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	155839   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2485109207.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	155840  

Name:	image-3823074835.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	155841  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post
What is on my rock?
I'm not sure but you should put in a bucket and send it to me!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The four pics look like Aptasia. If your not getting corals, might be ok. But if it gets really big it can sting fish too. The pic of the black one with spikes looks like a sea urchin, those are pretty cool and shouldn't hurt anything. Anyone with a reef would say kill the aptasia ASAP. Depends on your plans.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy3693 View Post
The four pics look like Aptasia. If your not getting corals, might be ok. But if it gets really big it can sting fish too. The pic of the black one with spikes looks like a sea urchin, those are pretty cool and shouldn't hurt anything. Anyone with a reef would say kill the aptasia ASAP. Depends on your plans.
I don't plan on doing a reef but I'll research it. I have noticed that it retracts onto the rock at night and comes back out when the lights are turned back on. The black thing with spikes relocated itself over night so I too think its a sea urchin. How do you kill it of that's what I want to do?

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com