Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-05-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie sump question

I want to set up a sump for my 30 gallon using a 10 gallon extra tank. My question is do I need to have a divider area for the return pump. I am going to put my heater and skimmer in the sump. Also would you advise putting live sand and rock in the sump. I have plenty. Sorry for all the questions, the more I research I do, seems the more confused about the sump I become.

copester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:00 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj

You can certainly put LR and LS in a sump. I would leave it in the tank though. Maybe save it for a refugium later on? Would be a good upgrade. You don't have to have any divider for the pump. If you're going to have a bag of carbon in the sump, you might want to have a short wall, angled away from the pump, to catch any stray pieces of carbon. Stuff like that is kinda rough on impellers. Or you could just put a screen on the pump intake. The sump is basically a place to put all the equipment that normally has to reside in the tank. It also gives you the added bonus of a little more water volume. It can be as complicated or as simple as you want it. All you really need is an overflow and a return pump. Check out this thread for some ideas...I apologize in advance for the awful drawing .
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com