Newbie sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copester

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set up a sump for my 30 gallon using a 10 gallon extra tank. My question is do I need to have a divider area for the return pump. I am going to put my heater and skimmer in the sump. Also would you advise putting live sand and rock in the sump. I have plenty. Sorry for all the questions, the more I research I do, seems the more confused about the sump I become.

sump

You can certainly put LR and LS in a sump. I would leave it in the tank though. Maybe save it for a refugium later on? Would be a good upgrade. You don't have to have any divider for the pump. If you're going to have a bag of carbon in the sump, you might want to have a short wall, angled away from the pump, to catch any stray pieces of carbon. Stuff like that is kinda rough on impellers. Or you could just put a screen on the pump intake. The sump is basically a place to put all the equipment that normally has to reside in the tank. It also gives you the added bonus of a little more water volume. It can be as complicated or as simple as you want it. All you really need is an overflow and a return pump. Check out this thread for some ideas...I apologize in advance for the awful drawing :oops: .
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1224
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom