Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Newbie: tank cycling question

I'm new to the hobby, but have been doing a lot of reading. I have been cycling my new 30 gallon tank since the beginning of the month. Started with live rock about two & half weeks ago. added the three blue damsels about a week ago. Two days later one of the damsel had been killed by the others. About three days ago, an other one was killed. Now I have one damsel, live rock and the beginning growth of brown algae. The remaining Blue damsel looks fine. I've been watching him closely and color is good, eating well, etc. Ammonia is at 0.2 Nitrite and Nitrate are both 0.

So my question is: Is the cycling process working? Do I need to get more Damsels (although, I afraid this one will kill them)? Should I be doing anything else besides waiting, watching and montoring?

Old 11-15-2002, 03:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
new tank

Since you're showing an ammonia concentration, the process is probably on it's way. Damsels are very agressive and a 30 isn't enough room for more than one to establish a territory. Something you might want to consider is "fishless cycling". Check out the post in the Saltwater Beginners Forum on this. At any rate, keep testing for ammonia and nitrite.
Logan J

Old 11-15-2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did think about fishless cycling, but since I have a fish I wasn't sure if it would work or is appropriate.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
since you have fish now the fishless method should not be used.

this would just add extra ammonia into the sytem and put the fish at greater risk of death.

keep a watchful eye on that ammonia. should it rise much more do a small water change of 10% or so. you dont want to remove the ammonia 100% but you dont want it getting to high either.

feed very sparingly. maybe even feed every other day, once durring that day. Feed on like Monday - Wed - Friday - Sun - Tue - Thurs - Sat - Mon - ...

Only feed enough that the food is totally gone in 5 min. if its still in the water after 5 min try to get it out.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:44 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
fishless

I should have mentioned, when talking about fishless cycling, that the remaining damsel would have to be removed or face almost certain death. My mistake .
Logan J
Old 11-15-2002, 07:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks, that's what I thought.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
i always kept an eye on brown algae. if it is growing your tank is cycling. when it dies of then your tank should be cycled in. this is not a scientific method by no means, but it always worked for me. its an easy way to tell where your tank is as far as the cycle.

Tags
cycling, tan, tank cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com