Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie to reef tanks

So I have had a saltwater fish only tank for a few years its small, only about ten gallons. But I want to put coral in or an anemone (I think my tank may be too small for one). I have the right lighting and i am good at keeping my ph, temp, salinity and nitrate levels (all the basics), but I haven't the slightest when it comes to what kind of supplements I'm supposed to use. The people at my LFS aren't very helpful so any info is much appreciated. All I have in there right now is a percula, 5 lbs live rock, and 5lbs live sand, heater and aqua clear bio max filteration system

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of lighting? That's almost the most important factor for a nem and some high light corals. Also you may want to consider a powerhead for additional flow. You tank is not too small for corals, check out the nano section here for awesome small reef tanks

Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
What kind of lighting? That's almost the most important factor for a nem and some high light corals. Also you may want to consider a powerhead for additional flow. You tank is not too small for corals, check out the nano section here for awesome small reef tanks
Thanks for the reply! I have 2 T5 14 watt 24" one actinic blue, and ones 10,000K daylight. I just got new bulbs a month ago. My filter is designed for a twenty gallon tank so when it's on a high setting it creates plenty of water flow. I just don't know what kind of supplements I need. Like iodine, magnesium, iron, all of them? None of them?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you need to at all, I have handfuls of soft corals and some LPS and don't dose anything. I believe when you are heavily stocked that's when dosing comes into play. Don't need to dose for nems, just really stable, excellent parameters. May need more light tho...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #5

Okay I'll ask the people at my LFS about how much light they recommend. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It sounds like if I just keep at it with maintenance I should be okay
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah and if you go a nem the bubble tip is a good one to start, just do a bit of research as they can grow quite big if happy campers!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #7

I have researched the bta that seems to be the best option if I'm gonna get a nem. At first I was thinking about a Haitian but I haven't heard anything good about them
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is nothing wrong with the Haitian other than it is less likely to host your clown. They can sting corals tho, I would try a BTA for sure...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the Haitian other than it is less likely to host your clown. They can sting corals tho, I would try a BTA for sure...
Thanks for all your help, your awesome. Cheers
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have 2 T5 14 watt 24" one actinic blue, and ones 10,000K daylight. I just got new bulbs a month ago.
Unfortunately those lights won't support an anemone.

24" T5 = 14 W
24" T5HO =24W

2 T5HO at 48 watts is not enough light. 4 T5HO at 96 is likely not enough. 6 T5HO MIGHT be enough.

Your light SHOULD be enough to support mushrooms. 2T5HO would give you a few more options. Sorry

Tags
reef, reef tank, reef tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com