Newbie to reef tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had a saltwater fish only tank for a few years its small, only about ten gallons. But I want to put coral in or an anemone (I think my tank may be too small for one). I have the right lighting and i am good at keeping my ph, temp, salinity and nitrate levels (all the basics), but I haven't the slightest when it comes to what kind of supplements I'm supposed to use. The people at my LFS aren't very helpful so any info is much appreciated. All I have in there right now is a percula, 5 lbs live rock, and 5lbs live sand, heater and aqua clear bio max filteration system

What kind of lighting? That's almost the most important factor for a nem and some high light corals. Also you may want to consider a powerhead for additional flow. You tank is not too small for corals, check out the nano section here for awesome small reef tanks

What kind of lighting? That's almost the most important factor for a nem and some high light corals. Also you may want to consider a powerhead for additional flow. You tank is not too small for corals, check out the nano section here for awesome small reef tanks

Thanks for the reply! I have 2 T5 14 watt 24" one actinic blue, and ones 10,000K daylight. I just got new bulbs a month ago. My filter is designed for a twenty gallon tank so when it's on a high setting it creates plenty of water flow. I just don't know what kind of supplements I need. Like iodine, magnesium, iron, all of them? None of them?

I don't think you need to at all, I have handfuls of soft corals and some LPS and don't dose anything. I believe when you are heavily stocked that's when dosing comes into play. Don't need to dose for nems, just really stable, excellent parameters. May need more light tho...

Okay I'll ask the people at my LFS about how much light they recommend. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It sounds like if I just keep at it with maintenance I should be okay

Yeah and if you go a nem the bubble tip is a good one to start, just do a bit of research as they can grow quite big if happy campers!

I have researched the bta that seems to be the best option if I'm gonna get a nem. At first I was thinking about a Haitian but I haven't heard anything good about them

There is nothing wrong with the Haitian other than it is less likely to host your clown. They can sting corals tho, I would try a BTA for sure...

There is nothing wrong with the Haitian other than it is less likely to host your clown. They can sting corals tho, I would try a BTA for sure...

Thanks for all your help, your awesome. Cheers

Thanks for the reply! I have 2 T5 14 watt 24" one actinic blue, and ones 10,000K daylight. I just got new bulbs a month ago.

Unfortunately those lights won't support an anemone.

24" T5 = 14 W
24" T5HO =24W

2 T5HO at 48 watts is not enough light. 4 T5HO at 96 is likely not enough. 6 T5HO MIGHT be enough.

Your light SHOULD be enough to support mushrooms. 2T5HO would give you a few more options. Sorry

Unfortunately those lights won't support an anemone.

24" T5 = 14 W
24" T5HO =24W

2 T5HO at 48 watts is not enough light. 4 T5HO at 96 is likely not enough. 6 T5HO MIGHT be enough.

Your light SHOULD be enough to support mushrooms. 2T5HO would give you a few more options. Sorry

Thanks for pointing that out. I researched lighting a bit and it seems like what matters more is the type of lighting rather than wattage. 6 T5 HO at 24 watts each in my little 10 gallon would be over 14 watts per gallon that's just over kill. I would think that would be bad for my fish lol

Back
Top Bottom