Newbie to salt..... need advice.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok here goes

I've got your standard 30g freshwater setup..... I've recently adjusted the salt to the required spec gravity..... added an underwater with a power head...... and have a HOB filter already running.... the substrate has been changed to crushed coral/play sand..... and I've added about 14 lbs. of live rock.... currently using a raw shrimp to cycle.... O yeah... I've got your regular old freshwater bulb up top.

Here are my questions......

Will the live rock be ok with the current setup???? How long will it take to "develop" ?????

Can I add any, I guess coral?????, to the tank.... like the feathery, polopy stuff...... if that is what coral is.... when the tank is more established ???

I guess I'm just really confused on the "coral" etc. special lighting thing..... I know you need special lighting for "coral" .... but is that what all the stuff is that I see at the LFS attached to their live rock?????

Also what about cleaner shimp, starfish etc.... do they need special light??

Any other suggestions would be appreciated........

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, Welcome to AA!! You are on the right track. You next step is to decide what type of tank you want to have...FOWLR, or reef. The lighting you have will be just fine for FOWLR. You can also keep a few inverts in there, crabs, shrimp, stars...However, if you plan to have a reef you will need to up-grade you lighting. This is ussualy the most expensive part of any reef tank. you could try some mushrooms or zoos under NO lighting but will need more for other corals. I would also recommend getting a protein skimmer. Get a good book, do some reading and relax. the biggest mistake newcomers make is rushing things. Take it slow and let things develope natually. As you tank cycles take advantage of the time anddo your homework. We are all here to help! Good luck and have fun...Lando

How long does it take for me to start seeing things on my LR ???? How fast will it turn purple if I add calcium to the tank????

the purple is coralline algae, and it takes a while to start growing in a newly established tank. and before you start putting calcium in your tank, have you tested it for calcium content yet? have you researched methods of adding calcium, and if so, which will you be using?

as for things on your LR, it depends on the batch. if its good LR, there should be visible hitchhikers, but i have gotten batches with algae as the only thing attached. your critters could be hiding as well.

remember-saltwater takes time! (i know thats not what you want to hear, but its the truth)

I understand it's going to take a while.... I'm just wondering if I'm looking at 6 months or 6 years before the LR is purple and/or teaming with life.....

First you gotta finish cycling.. then you gotta fight algae for a month or two.. then things should start looking good.

BTW - if you don't plan to upgrade lighting then at least get a marine bulb because the FW one is the wrong spectrum.

I can deal with 6 mos.. :) ... Guess I'll start takin a look at the marine bulbs too...... One other thing....... I'm waiting for the tank to cycle to get fish (of course)... I was wondering though can you get say...... a cleaner shrimp in the mean time??? or will the levels jack it up.......

You need to wait till it's fully cycled or there's a good chance anything you add will die.

OK another question..... I just went and bought a "Coral Life" Actinic blue bulb..... it said it was good for saltwater and reef's........... the bulb is only twenty watts.... and my tank is now blue....... is this going to help my LR development or hurt it????????

Please read above....... and another thing....... can someone recommend a fairly inexpensive protein skimmer for a 30g FOWLR tank???????

The actinic will be fine for the tank but if you don't like the blue then you could get a 50/50 bulb which will look whiter.

As for skimmer, I personally would pick up a Prizm for that size tank.. if money is tight then maybe check out ebay.

You mean there's other footy teams worth supporting? :p

Guess not....... I was in England for a while.... near Oxford.... stationed on an RAF base called croughton (not far from Banbury)..... I remember the whole United thing..... sorry to say I could'nt get into it..... I'm a big American Football fan though.........

Hey one other question.... will an HOB work for a while instead of a skimmer???? Will it keep the phosphates low????

Please read last....... also does anybody have pictures of mushrooms and zoos???? Not really sure what they are....... are there any other low/no light corals I can use????

Back
Top Bottom