Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Newbie to salt..... need advice.........

Ok here goes

I've got your standard 30g freshwater setup..... I've recently adjusted the salt to the required spec gravity..... added an underwater with a power head...... and have a HOB filter already running.... the substrate has been changed to crushed coral/play sand..... and I've added about 14 lbs. of live rock.... currently using a raw shrimp to cycle.... O yeah... I've got your regular old freshwater bulb up top.

Here are my questions......

Will the live rock be ok with the current setup???? How long will it take to "develop" ?????

Can I add any, I guess coral?????, to the tank.... like the feathery, polopy stuff...... if that is what coral is.... when the tank is more established ???

I guess I'm just really confused on the "coral" etc. special lighting thing..... I know you need special lighting for "coral" .... but is that what all the stuff is that I see at the LFS attached to their live rock?????

Also what about cleaner shimp, starfish etc.... do they need special light??

Any other suggestions would be appreciated........

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Mike, Welcome to AA!! You are on the right track. You next step is to decide what type of tank you want to have...FOWLR, or reef. The lighting you have will be just fine for FOWLR. You can also keep a few inverts in there, crabs, shrimp, stars...However, if you plan to have a reef you will need to up-grade you lighting. This is ussualy the most expensive part of any reef tank. you could try some mushrooms or zoos under NO lighting but will need more for other corals. I would also recommend getting a protein skimmer. Get a good book, do some reading and relax. the biggest mistake newcomers make is rushing things. Take it slow and let things develope natually. As you tank cycles take advantage of the time anddo your homework. We are all here to help! Good luck and have fun...Lando

Old 08-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Get a good book, do some reading and relax.
i would suggest the concientious (spelling?) marine aquarist by robert fenner. EXCELLENT book! good luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ditto, it is a great book. Read it over to cover and then once more.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long does it take for me to start seeing things on my LR ???? How fast will it turn purple if I add calcium to the tank????
Old 08-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

the purple is coralline algae, and it takes a while to start growing in a newly established tank. and before you start putting calcium in your tank, have you tested it for calcium content yet? have you researched methods of adding calcium, and if so, which will you be using?

as for things on your LR, it depends on the batch. if its good LR, there should be visible hitchhikers, but i have gotten batches with algae as the only thing attached. your critters could be hiding as well.

remember-saltwater takes time! (i know thats not what you want to hear, but its the truth)
Old 08-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I understand it's going to take a while.... I'm just wondering if I'm looking at 6 months or 6 years before the LR is purple and/or teaming with life.....
Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL more like 6 months if everything goes well
Old 08-16-2004, 08:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

First you gotta finish cycling.. then you gotta fight algae for a month or two.. then things should start looking good.

BTW - if you don't plan to upgrade lighting then at least get a marine bulb because the FW one is the wrong spectrum.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can deal with 6 mos.. ... Guess I'll start takin a look at the marine bulbs too...... One other thing....... I'm waiting for the tank to cycle to get fish (of course)... I was wondering though can you get say...... a cleaner shrimp in the mean time??? or will the levels jack it up.......

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com