Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #101
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Thanks for the Info..... I will start it with Dry Aragamax Sand as recommended by some fellow AA members then i will start with adding Fully Cured Rock.....

Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #102
AA Team Emeritus

Unhappy

So I am having really bad issue with direct Sunlight and the Direct light with or without a Background cover and the window is my only option of placing my tank due to space in my apartment any way I add the black background I'm still receiving an extensive amount of sunlight right into my tank and Windows are very high and the sun still beams right into my tank.... Now I know it's a no no to have my SW tank next to a window because` of the high Algae that builds up but I guess this is my down fall is my wife won't let me put anything to over the sun light even with shade closed I still receive light I have no clue what to due about this issue I'm having..... Any ideas and what should be done or what I can do to prevent high Algae growing in my tank? Well i posted a Picture so you could see what i am talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	14817  

Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #103
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, the "boss" has decreed so you will just have to make do. I would definitely add a background, at least that will reduce some of the ambient light.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #104
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks Roka..... Now since I will be adding my background it will reduce but not by much Should I still get a High Output Lighting since I'm getting a little more ambient light in my tank?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Activist

maybe you could look into getting different blind or curtains. something you could open one side but leave te side by the tank down to further redue the light directly on the tank
Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #106
AA Team Emeritus

That's a good question. You will have to take into account the possible addition of corals, and the amount of light during the spring, winter and fall months. I could be wrong but that ambient light might not be enough for all corals.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #107
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah it's up to the "BOSS" shes all about her windows since we just moved in and we were living in a Basement with no windows before moving in....LOL.... We lived in the dark....
Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #108
AA Team Emeritus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
That's a good question. You will have to take into account the possible addition of corals, and the amount of light during the spring, winter and fall months. I could be wrong but that ambient light might not be enough for all corals.

Right.... Cause i will want corals in the future just not now.... I'm just wondering on the lighting situation everyone want alot of high output light but if sunlight works why not how do they get there light in the wild? not trying to be sarcastic just if i can cut corners not spending and arm and a leg on lighting the sun is my only option...LOL... Not really but i guess if i have to I will get some good lighting.....
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #109
AA Team Emeritus

I understand what you are saying, but I am not a light pro or reefer. We may have to wait till one of those folks chime in.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #110
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would also put a background on the tank. Sunlight is great for corals in the wild but not in a closed system like our tanks.

If you aren't worried about getting corals any time soon stick with the lighting you have.

When you are ready to go reef then you will need to look at getting better lighting. I personally prefer MH over other types of lighting but it all depends on what you want to keep. I have an SPS dominated reef and they require high lighting. If you are wanting to do a few SPS then you could easily have a nice reef with T5s.

I have a combination of MH, VHO and T5 on my tank, but as I said I have a lot of SPS corals.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com