Newbie To Salt Water Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, I'm new to the site wanna say Hi to everyone in the community....

Got a Few questions about starting a Saltwater Aquarium, Well for one my father in-law is giving me a 55 gallon Tank that use to have freshwater fish in it, He no longer can maintain it and all his fish died.... But besides that its been sitting for about 1 whole year with-out any use. I wanna know will it be ok to still use that tank once it's all washed out? First off I want to say that I really want to make this tank very nice and colorful.

1). What will be a good filteration system to work with?
2). I've been reading about a Skimmer why is this needed?
3). Live Rocks Can a Saltwater Tank survive without it?
4). I wanna know how many Bags of live sand would I need to get for a 55 Gallon?
5). What is the best heater to purchase to keep the water at a stable temp for the fish?

This is just some of the question I have and Just for the record i've had an 75 and 120 gallon tank before and my fish were always will maintained I always loved the saltwater fish but found it a little to expensive but I have a family and I have 3 Daughters that love Finding Nemo... As Popular as that can be. So i'm putting my efforts towards a Saltwater Aquarium. Just so they can have a few Nemos To look at...

Well i'll take any suggestion comments ETC...

Thanks guys :n00b:

Welcome to AA first of all!:smilecolros:

Filtration IMO includes rock and skimmer. Live rock is a natural filtration system, in that the organisms that live on it are invisible, but provide for ammonia and fish waste consuming components.

A skimmer (look up HOB/hang on back versions) will remove solid materials from the water column and keep the water clearer and free of waste. Skimmer is the mechanical filtration.

Don't need live sand IMO either. It's not really live. Dry, aragonite sand (well rinsed) is the preference of most. Lots cheaper too. I'm not sure if this site has a calculator, but look for one. You can input the width and length of the tank, and the desired depth (I like a bit deeper - 3") and it gives you the # of pounds needed.

Check out the Articles section section of this site for lots of good info on setting up.

Again, welcome and keep us posted on your research, plans, and progress.

Well I shall be getting the Aquarium from my Father Inlaw this weekend I will update with pictures as soon as it comes available in the Mean Time you guys could give me some suggestion on equipment to buy or Purchase... Let me know whta;s good and what isn't I would really appreciate the help...
Thanks

Visit the Articles section and read all you can. That will answer a lot of your questions. Please make sure to read How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish, Sumps Explained , and Quarantine. Then come back and post the questions you are sure to have. Patience is the key. I know it's hard to be patient when your daughters just want Nemo in the tank NOW!, but "Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a saltwater aquarium.

welcometoaa.gif

Hey does anyone know How many LBS i could put into a 55 gallon tank? Let me know

Thanks

Same answer....wink...Or you could buy base rock and seed it with a little cured LR.

SO I can add Live Rocks 1.5-2 LBs is that Per gallon Casue I gallon of water weight 8.34 Pounds How much does a normal Tank weight with the rocks? I just asking I don't want to put a Hole in the floor...LOL

:n00b::uzi:

Yes, to 1½ - 2 pounds of LR per gallon of tank capacity. So for a 55 you want 82- 110 poiunds of rock. A combination of base (75%) and LR (25%) is a great way to start a tank.

A 55g tank with the correct amount of LR and sand could be close to 700lbs completed.

Where in your house are you planning on putting this tank?

Sorry Guys, I just received the Aquarium it's a 50 gallon I was 5 Gallons off.. Sorry.... :D.... He gave me 2 extra Power Heads 450 and 2- 200watt heaters that should cut down my cost of buying that equipment Sweet... Have a question should I use both 200 watt heaters or should I buy a 250 watt heater and try to cut space? Let me know... Thanks

:bowl:

Are you planning on having a sump on this system? If you are I would suggest using both heaters. They will keep your temp better then a single heater and if one fails you still have one working in the system.

Back
Top Bottom