Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i dont have a sump, is that a filter. all i have is a protein skimmer cause thats all i was told, that i would need, is that like a filter or something??

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
A sump is another tank you keep underneath the first. It helps by increasing your water volume, and allows for different filtration types as well as keeping everything hidden and out of your display tank.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bco...20298sumps.htm

Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #23

okay, but can i do without it for now at least, or is that a pretty big need for my tank, wow i cant believe how much more i needed to know dam, thanks guys for your help i really needed it.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
nah its not a must at the moment some people never have one its really your choice
Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #25

i found out what the problem was, my calcium lvls were really high, and started to make my water milky looking, the only reason it looked green was because my glass was covered in algae, once i cleaned it the water was more milky then green, other then doing water changes how can i lower my calicum lvls???
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your calcium levels? It's odd that it would be high unless you are adding additives. The salt that you use should have just the right amount of calcium in it, maybe a bit less, but not more. I guess your tap water could be unnaturally high, test some of your tap water and see what your levels are at. You should really try to find a pet store that sells ro/di water, tap water really causes problems in SW tanks.

(also get a good API testing kit if you don't have one already, the strip testing kits are not that great)
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #27

my calcium is 500 ca2t. i just did a 40-50% water change. no stores in my area sell that water, all they can do is sell me that special filter, i found a grocery store that sells reverse osmosis water, should i use it, it has all the bad stuff taken out of the water i asked the manager.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #28

and my salt lvl is at 1.021 ppt. okay i just did a test on my tap water, and as soon as i did the final test it read that my calcium lvl is below 20 ca2t. so i dont know what going wrong.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #29

i just take my water sample to the fish store once a month and they test it for me, i am gonna buy some of those test kits tho, yesterday they said all my lvl are perfect, its just my calcium lvls are to high.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would use the grocery store ro water, it is not as good as ro/di but it's a lot better than tap water. Buy yourself a few large jugs and just go fill them up whenever needed.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com