Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it illegal to take beach sand?? Be careful! There may be fines! I've thought of beach sand & live rock from beaches and have been looking it up.

Another thought that has been on my mind being that I just purchased a used tank & stock just moved it to my house, is if my CUC (clean up crew) up to snuff for my tank. Something to think about & that's snails, hermit crabs, star fish, etc but what you'll stock your tank w/ all plays a part in what you choose for your CUC--don't want certain stars if you'll have a reef eventually, etc. Sand needs to be stirred & cleaned unlike other substrates & CUC do this for you. I've always wanted to try sand, so here I go, diving right in!

AND... about plants... You can keep plants with light in your sump or refugium if you get one & they help w/ removing NitrAtes. I'm a FW planted tank kinda person & can't wait to get plants in my SW system!! Old habits die hard

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quite honestly, you don't really need a CUC at all. Sand does not need to be stirred unless you keep a DSB, which IMO, is 4" or better.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Quite honestly, you don't really need a CUC at all. Sand does not need to be stirred unless you keep a DSB, which IMO, is 4" or better.
Really??? My tank's sand bed is probably an inch (I'd like to make it thicker) but it has some anaerobic pockets even with my several hermit crabs & snails :\
Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTank View Post

Really??? My tank's sand bed is probably an inch (I'd like to make it thicker) but it has some anaerobic pockets even with my several hermit crabs & snails :\
Sure you don't NEED a cuc, but it really helps if you have a missing fish you don't know is dead or not. The dead fish would decompose and create waste, raising nitrates. With a cuc, they'll clean up that dead fish right away. Nassarius snails and brittle or serpents stars are the best at doing this in my experience.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You are not going to get any anaerobic benefit from a 1" sand bed. Nor will it kill your tank if it's not stirred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Sure you don't NEED a cuc, but it really helps if you have a missing fish you don't know is dead or not. The dead fish would decompose and create waste, raising nitrates. With a cuc, they'll clean up that dead fish right away. Nassarius snails and brittle or serpents stars are the best at doing this in my experience.

Whether a starfish eats a dead fish or it just sits there, you are still going to have to remove that waste. It doesn't just disappear. If that was the case, we would never have to do water changes or use protein skimmers!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ahh... I guess it's just 1 of those many debates. Just curious... mr_X, do you not have any CUC in your tanks or are you just stating a matter of fact that it's not necessary? Not being confrontational just like to know my stuff & learn from other people's experiences. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see CUC as a debate, but more personal preference. Mr X is absolutely correct that waste needs to be removed either way. It does not disappear just because a snail or crab eats it. That snail or crab will expel waste and you are right back to having waste again. If you like little critters, then go for it. I've had them in reef tanks, but never in my FOWLRs.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="mr_X;2507372

Whether a starfish eats a dead fish or it just sits there, you are still going to have to remove that waste. It doesn't just disappear. If that was the case, we would never have to do water changes or use protein skimmers![/QUOTE]

Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

Whether a starfish eats a dead fish or it just sits there, you are still going to have to remove that waste. It doesn't just disappear. If that was the case, we would never have to do water changes or use protein skimmers!
Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?[/QUOTE]

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ahh... I guess it's just 1 of those many debates. Just curious... mr_X, do you not have any CUC in your tanks or are you just stating a matter of fact that it's not necessary? Not being confrontational just like to know my stuff & learn from other people's experiences. Thanks for your input!
No CUC to speak of. In my 300 I have 2 sally lightfoot crabs, and no snails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?
[/QUOTE]
The CUC isn't removing it though, is exactly my point.

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com