Newbie to SW getting confused??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue17fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hubby and I have both had lots of experience with Freshwater and have always wanted a saltwater set up. We finally have a place for a tank and decided this would be perfect. (we have given it lots of thought and research)

We bought a complete used saltwater setup everything but the fish. (Craigslist- never again -it was supposed to be 75 gal, but according to measurement its only 60)

I haven't gone through everything for inventory but I don't see skimmer (based on pics ive seen) and the filter is a HOB Tetra Whisper power. This is going to be a FO tank, 60 gal. Not sure what kind of fish besides clowns. (love those)

Do I really need a skimmer with a power filter? I've read the bio wheel filters are better and I'm looking at the Emperor line.

Sand or gravel? I've never used sand or had live plants? Are live plants better?

I have a bunch of dead coral, would they be safe to use?

Once I get it set up with just water how long should I wait to get fish?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of people love skimmers because they greatly improve water quality. Its ideal to have the filtration 1.5x the size of your tank. Substrate is what you prefer. There's not right or wrong. I've never done or heard of plants in a saltwater tank.
You could do a fish less cycle using a table shrimp. You want to invest in a test kit. The ammonia will spike the drop off. When it has dropped off and there are no nitrites and nitrates you're ready for fish.
The coral you have should work. My tank had nothing but coral skeletons to start off with. They would turn brown and ugly so fast, so I removed them and went with live rock.
Ask more questions, hopefully someone experience will chime in.

Skimmer is good to have as it removes protein out of your water column before it rots and turns in to ammonia, nitrite and finally nitrate. It also helps aerate the water. Less maintenance and fewer/smaller water changes

Did it come with any live rock or you starting from scratch? I would use sand and invest in some live rock if you don't have any. For a 60g I wouldn't go with a hob filter at all and just get a good (rated for twice your water volume) skimmer. Does it have powerheads too? You got any pics of the set up? You will need test kits and a refractometer for measuring salinity. Have you thought about water? You may need to invest in a ro-di system for making water too ;)

You wont need a skimmer with a 60 as long as you keep the Bio load lite just a few (4-5 small fish) A skimmer will save you money in the long run as well as a few backaches. Also you dont need 'Live rock use dry base rock it will become live as your tank cycles just get a few lbs of live rock to seed the base Here's a cupple of articles to help you on your way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/prote...ein-skimming---is-it-right-for-you/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-your-salt-tank/?/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/categories/Saltwater/Articles/

Thanks for all the advice, it really help and the links are great. As soon as I can I'm going see exactly what I have and take pictures. I like the idea about using some live rock as seed rock and just using a skimmer, no filter. If I have to invest in something it would be the skimmer.

Also about sand.

I live in Myrtle Beach, could I use some beach sand as Live Sand to start or would that be too risky? I also thought about getting a friend of mine to take me out in his boat to get sea water, any thoughts?

I have the test kits already, was looking at RO system. The only power heads are on the filter.

If its a 75 you will definitely need a few powerheads. There are mixed feelings about using sand from the beach - too risky I think, you don't know what could be in it! Parasite or toxic stuff you can't test for. You don't need live sand, all sand will become live over time. Same goes for ocean water, unless you wanna go out in your friends boat and get it every week! Making your own salt water means you can monitor what is in it. On a 75g you are going to want to do 10-20% water changes weekly or at least fortnightly...

Is it illegal to take beach sand?? Be careful! There may be fines! I've thought of beach sand & live rock from beaches and have been looking it up.

Another thought that has been on my mind being that I just purchased a used tank & stock just moved it to my house, is if my CUC (clean up crew) up to snuff for my tank. Something to think about & that's snails, hermit crabs, star fish, etc but what you'll stock your tank w/ all plays a part in what you choose for your CUC--don't want certain stars if you'll have a reef eventually, etc. Sand needs to be stirred & cleaned unlike other substrates & CUC do this for you. I've always wanted to try sand, so here I go, diving right in!

AND... about plants... You can keep plants with light in your sump or refugium if you get one & they help w/ removing NitrAtes. I'm a FW planted tank kinda person & can't wait to get plants in my SW system!! Old habits die hard ;)

Quite honestly, you don't really need a CUC at all. Sand does not need to be stirred unless you keep a DSB, which IMO, is 4" or better.

Quite honestly, you don't really need a CUC at all. Sand does not need to be stirred unless you keep a DSB, which IMO, is 4" or better.

Really??? My tank's sand bed is probably an inch (I'd like to make it thicker) but it has some anaerobic pockets even with my several hermit crabs & snails :\

Really??? My tank's sand bed is probably an inch (I'd like to make it thicker) but it has some anaerobic pockets even with my several hermit crabs & snails :\

Sure you don't NEED a cuc, but it really helps if you have a missing fish you don't know is dead or not. The dead fish would decompose and create waste, raising nitrates. With a cuc, they'll clean up that dead fish right away. Nassarius snails and brittle or serpents stars are the best at doing this in my experience.

You are not going to get any anaerobic benefit from a 1" sand bed. Nor will it kill your tank if it's not stirred.

Sure you don't NEED a cuc, but it really helps if you have a missing fish you don't know is dead or not. The dead fish would decompose and create waste, raising nitrates. With a cuc, they'll clean up that dead fish right away. Nassarius snails and brittle or serpents stars are the best at doing this in my experience.

Whether a starfish eats a dead fish or it just sits there, you are still going to have to remove that waste. It doesn't just disappear. If that was the case, we would never have to do water changes or use protein skimmers!

Ahh... I guess it's just 1 of those many debates. Just curious... mr_X, do you not have any CUC in your tanks or are you just stating a matter of fact that it's not necessary? Not being confrontational just like to know my stuff & learn from other people's experiences. Thanks for your input!

I don't see CUC as a debate, but more personal preference. Mr X is absolutely correct that waste needs to be removed either way. It does not disappear just because a snail or crab eats it. That snail or crab will expel waste and you are right back to having waste again. If you like little critters, then go for it. I've had them in reef tanks, but never in my FOWLRs.

[QUOTE="mr_X;2507372

Whether a starfish eats a dead fish or it just sits there, you are still going to have to remove that waste. It doesn't just disappear. If that was the case, we would never have to do water changes or use protein skimmers![/QUOTE]

Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?

Whether a starfish eats a dead fish or it just sits there, you are still going to have to remove that waste. It doesn't just disappear. If that was the case, we would never have to do water changes or use protein skimmers!

Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?[/QUOTE]

Ahh... I guess it's just 1 of those many debates. Just curious... mr_X, do you not have any CUC in your tanks or are you just stating a matter of fact that it's not necessary? Not being confrontational just like to know my stuff & learn from other people's experiences. Thanks for your input!
No CUC to speak of. In my 300 I have 2 sally lightfoot crabs, and no snails.

Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?
[/QUOTE]
The CUC isn't removing it though, is exactly my point.

Back
Top Bottom