Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newbie to SW getting confused??

Hubby and I have both had lots of experience with Freshwater and have always wanted a saltwater set up. We finally have a place for a tank and decided this would be perfect. (we have given it lots of thought and research)

We bought a complete used saltwater setup everything but the fish. (Craigslist- never again -it was supposed to be 75 gal, but according to measurement its only 60)

I haven't gone through everything for inventory but I don't see skimmer (based on pics ive seen) and the filter is a HOB Tetra Whisper power. This is going to be a FO tank, 60 gal. Not sure what kind of fish besides clowns. (love those)

Do I really need a skimmer with a power filter? I've read the bio wheel filters are better and I'm looking at the Emperor line.

Sand or gravel? I've never used sand or had live plants? Are live plants better?

I have a bunch of dead coral, would they be safe to use?

Once I get it set up with just water how long should I wait to get fish?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A lot of people love skimmers because they greatly improve water quality. Its ideal to have the filtration 1.5x the size of your tank. Substrate is what you prefer. There's not right or wrong. I've never done or heard of plants in a saltwater tank.
You could do a fish less cycle using a table shrimp. You want to invest in a test kit. The ammonia will spike the drop off. When it has dropped off and there are no nitrites and nitrates you're ready for fish.
The coral you have should work. My tank had nothing but coral skeletons to start off with. They would turn brown and ugly so fast, so I removed them and went with live rock.
Ask more questions, hopefully someone experience will chime in.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Skimmer is good to have as it removes protein out of your water column before it rots and turns in to ammonia, nitrite and finally nitrate. It also helps aerate the water. Less maintenance and fewer/smaller water changes
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did it come with any live rock or you starting from scratch? I would use sand and invest in some live rock if you don't have any. For a 60g I wouldn't go with a hob filter at all and just get a good (rated for twice your water volume) skimmer. Does it have powerheads too? You got any pics of the set up? You will need test kits and a refractometer for measuring salinity. Have you thought about water? You may need to invest in a ro-di system for making water too
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You wont need a skimmer with a 60 as long as you keep the Bio load lite just a few (4-5 small fish) A skimmer will save you money in the long run as well as a few backaches. Also you dont need 'Live rock use dry base rock it will become live as your tank cycles just get a few lbs of live rock to seed the base Here's a cupple of articles to help you on your way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/protei...you/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-...ank/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ater/Articles/

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for all the advice, it really help and the links are great. As soon as I can I'm going see exactly what I have and take pictures. I like the idea about using some live rock as seed rock and just using a skimmer, no filter. If I have to invest in something it would be the skimmer.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Also about sand.

I live in Myrtle Beach, could I use some beach sand as Live Sand to start or would that be too risky? I also thought about getting a friend of mine to take me out in his boat to get sea water, any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have the test kits already, was looking at RO system. The only power heads are on the filter.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its a 75 you will definitely need a few powerheads. There are mixed feelings about using sand from the beach - too risky I think, you don't know what could be in it! Parasite or toxic stuff you can't test for. You don't need live sand, all sand will become live over time. Same goes for ocean water, unless you wanna go out in your friends boat and get it every week! Making your own salt water means you can monitor what is in it. On a 75g you are going to want to do 10-20% water changes weekly or at least fortnightly...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would use the beach sand. Just rinse it well.

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com