Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Dry rock mixed with a little LR is an awesome way to save money. I did that myself. I bought my dry (base) rock from marcorocks.com and was very pleased. I think his prices have gone up since I first ordered from him, but feel free to search around and let us know what you find.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Although it doesn't hurt to run the skimmer duiring the cycle, there's no reason not to wait till you can aford a better one and add it later. You may want to look at this reef rock (base rock) that's about a $1.00 per pound right now (with shipping). I used a box of it in my tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If setting up an aggressive FOWLR is great. Forget the crushed coral though. Lion fish and puffers big appetites = big poops! CC will merely trap this. Sand bed and live rock will help break down load. Skimmer is a must. I love my corallife super skimmer. The two larger sizes (125 / 220) are great. There isn't as much adjustment on the 65 and the collection cup is too small. Bite the bullet and go with the 125.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are skimmers loud? Am going to add one when the tank gets rolling but am scared because my tank is near my bed
Old 03-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #15

Cycling results/Aloha Aquariums Live Rock

So I ditched the crappy crushed coral and replaced it with an equal amount of sand. My AquaC Remora protein skimmer with Maxijet just came in yesterday.

So I decided to do a fishless cycle and dropped in a couple of shrimp on Saturday. My LFS wouldn't give me any gravel from an established tank and wanted me to buy live rock from them, but I'm buying it online soon so I didn't want to waste any money. I had already bought some API Stress Zyme from Petsmart (because I was told I needed it), so I decided to use that and added that on Saturday. Its basically a bottle of bacteria that is supposed to start the cycle.

Here's my test results:

3/15 (Shrimp Added) Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0.5ppm, and Nitrate 0ppm

3/17 Ammonia at 0.5ppm, Nitrites at 0.5ppm, and Nitrate at 5ppm

3/21 Ammonia at 2.0ppm, Nitrites at 5.0ppm, and Nitrate at 20ppm

I thought it was weird there were any Nitrites when I started. Could my water have high Nitrites? Or maybe I just read the color wrong. I also thought it was weird that Nitrates went up before Nitrates.

Does this look normal? When should I remove the Shrimps?

Also, I'm planning on buying about 30lbs of Live Rock from Aloha Aquariums. Its only $1.99 a lb for Fiji. Has anyone heard about these guys? That's pretty cheap for what I've seen so I'm somewhat skeptical about quality.

I also bought about 20lbs of australian sphaghetti rock from marcorocks for some variety. Thanks again for the help. I'll be sure to post some pics once I get the live rock in.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #16

Here's the website for Aloha Aquariums Live Rock

Fiji Live Rock - 1 lb
Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandown123 View Post
Are skimmers loud? Am going to add one when the tank gets rolling but am scared because my tank is near my bed
My tank is near my bed too. I just hooked up my AquaC Remora. Its about as loud as I expected. Loud enough that I'll have trouble sleeping for a week or two, but I'll get used to it. I've heard that they get quieter after the "break in". I hope so.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey yeah, post those pics I was curious about the quality as well. Too bad the skimmers loud, oh well gotta do whats right!.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

To make your Remora a bit quieter, try this...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ter-92943.html
Old 03-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #20

Holy Crap!

Man... I just folded up a paper towel and folded it over the injector. Now the skimmer is no louder than my Emperor 400 Filter! I'll sleep much better now.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com