Newbie to the Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,

I'm going to be setting up a Biocube 29 HQI this weekend. It will be replacing my Biocube 14, which I feel is too small for 4 fish and corals.

Questions:
Are there any modification recommendations for the 29?
Also, is there any way to add moonlights to an HQI?
Do I need a skimmer? This will be a reef setup.
Also, which is the better way to cycle (from experience) - pure ammonia or raw shrimp?
Would I be able to add an anemone to this setup, and when?

My stock list:
Black Onyx Percula clownfish pair
Yellow Watchman Goby
Helfrichi Firefish
Maybe...Scarlett Pin Stripe Wrasse (not sure if 5 fish is too many in a 29g)

Any feedback/comments/concerns would be appreciated. I'm all ears :) Also, if you need a biocube 14, you know who to PM :brows:

I think that you could add a small anemone after the tank has been established for a few months. Since HQI lighting emits high quantities of light, I think you would be ok (Just be warned, I am not an expert on anemones, but I think I am on the right track, LOL) By the way, I like your stocklist, can you post osme pictures?

Last edited:
Wouldn't recommend a nem. My RBT is about 9" when expanded and getting bigger. It's sting will kill corals.

Finally got the 29 HQI in today. So excited! The 14 looks so small next too it :) Haven't decided how I'm going to modify the chambers yet. Any ideas are welcomed :)

Got the tank all set up. Last night I added 30 lbs of live (somewhat) rock. This afternoon I checked the water and the ammonia skyrocketed to 8ppm :blink: It wouldn't go that high with 2 shrimps decaying in there lol. Thank goodness nothing is in the tank - well, that I know of.

Oh, and I can't get a BTA because I have Black Onyx clowns and I don't want them to lose their coloring. I was thinking about a carpet or sebae, or nothing haha.

Thoughts?

all4wheels2 said:
Got the tank all set up. Last night I added 30 lbs of live (somewhat) rock. This afternoon I checked the water and the ammonia skyrocketed to 8ppm :blink: It wouldn't go that high with 2 shrimps decaying in there lol. Thank goodness nothing is in the tank - well, that I know of.

Oh, and I can't get a BTA because I have Black Onyx clowns and I don't want them to lose their coloring. I was thinking about a carpet or sebae, or nothing haha.

Thoughts?

Black clowns lose color due to a bta??? Mine never did... I have a RBTA..

Supposedly Black Onyx True Percula Clownfish can based on the type of anemone. But I'm not sure we are talking about the same fish lol. Mine basically look like a true percula, just with more black between the white bars and a black first dorsal fin. There's still quite a bit of orange on them.

Are you talking about the black and white clownfish?

all4wheels2 said:
Supposedly Black Onyx True Percula Clownfish can based on the type of anemone. But I'm not sure we are talking about the same fish lol. Mine basically look like a true percula, just with more black between the white bars and a black first dorsal fin. There's still quite a bit of orange on them.

Are you talking about the black and white clownfish?

Yeah... Ok.. I was like "what"? Lol...

Any thoughts on the max number of fish for the Biocube 29? Currently I have...

Percula clownfish pair
Helfrichi firefish
Yellow watchman goby

I really want one more fish; I was thinking of maybe a wrasse or blenny. Any ideas? I don't want to overstock it though. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a FOWLR for a while as well.

Also, how much of a CUC would you recommend? I have 2 astraea snails, 2 nassarius snails, and 1 hermit. Should I add more, and if so, what?

To add to what you have already I think the best thing is a blue/green chromis or a small dart fish or maby a clown goby.

Nassarius are good sand cleaners, I think I had 5 in my cube. What about a 6 line wrasse or if it is FOWLR there are some really cool small wrasses that are not reef safe.

Back
Top Bottom