Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a thought...

Would the LFS that sold you this setup be willing to take the whole thing back for credit? If so, you might consider just handing the whole thing back to them and then taking a few months to do some research and come back to them and use the credit to buy a tank that you really want. The old adage "nothing good ever happens fast in a saltwater tank" really applies here, and I'd hate to see you rush into getting another tank just to save the fish you already have. You're not the one that put the fish in a bad situation... the LFS did. If they truly value you as a customer, then I don't really know why they wouldn't give you a credit for 100% of what you paid - for an already set up tank that was in their shop. A credit will make sure you come back to them.

If you were looking at moving within a year, I'd just hold off setting up a tank and use the time to figure out what components you want and how you want to stock it. It takes a while for a tank to "stabilize" and begin to mature. Seems kind of a waste to set up a tank and just as it begins to settle down, you'd have to tear it down and move it. Like others have mentioned, it's no issue to move a tank, but it is a lot of work - especially if you're talking a 200g tank. But if you're looking more at the 2 year time frame for a move, I'd probably be apt to set the tank up now.

To me, it just sounds like you're hurrying to play catch up, which doesn't put you in a good spot. Like I said, I'd be more apt to try and start again from scratch and armed with more knowledge.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I was down there when you posted to get the water tested because I was nervous and the yellow clown goby wasnt eating. The water tested perfectly and they just sweared everything would be fine and to feed the yellow goby some of the frozen cube.

So I came home and fed that and happily he ate along with the cucumber. But Ill be ****ed if one of my clown fish didnt just die out of the blue!

So I called them and they said it was probably be from stress from the move and would give me a "discount" off another fish. Which irked me a little because I would have thought less than 48 hours with perfect testing water would have replaced the fish. How does that normally work with stores?? If fish cant handle the move, what's the point of buying them? I dunno, that just annoys me a bit but maybe it's for the better since I needed less fish anyway. I felt sorry for the little guy though!

Will one clown alone be ok or does he need a buddy?

Im going to take back the yellow tail damsel tomorrow as well. All he does is peck at the other clown and blue neon goby. He isnt doing it too often, but he still does it. (He pecked at the one that died a LOT.)

Hubby and I talked about it and we'll probably get a 40-50 gallon take soon since that wouldnt be as bad to move. Guess Ill just keep upgrading as I outgrow my tanks, lol.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to start doing your own tests. No reason not to. I'm finding it hard to believe that in a just set up 10g tank, with as many fish as you have, that the water is testing "perfect". For now, all you need is an ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH test kit. API brand is cheap, and good.

The clown will do just fine without a buddy, plus putting more fish back in the tank is not really the direction I'd be going.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

It definately was. I watched him do it and saw the color matching myself. It's okay though, Im looking to get a bigger tank asap. Obviously Ill have to wait for it to cycle though. Hopefully everything will survive till then. I bought the kit today for testing as well and I'll just check it daily for now.

Im taking the damsel back this week though. He pecks at the other fish occasionally.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com