Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

What I did was take a syringe with lemon juice and squirt it directly into the mouth of it.. The mouth is going to be in the center of the frilly part on top

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would remove the rock it's on and chip a small piece of it off, where the anemone is attached. No reason to treat it inside the tank if you don't have to. If you don't kill it there is a chance it will spread around. Not a big deal really. I get a few here and there from time to time and kill them off every so often. If you are going to be importing corals from other people's tanks and stores, your bound to see another at some point.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I am wondering if I get the appropriate cleaner shrimp if it would provide a more natural solution to the problem. I don't see any corals going in the tank for a few months until tank is well established.
Then again, I don't want to let it go too long and become a more serious problem. To be honest, the wife was thrilled that there is already something growing in the tank.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmasonite View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am wondering if I get the appropriate cleaner shrimp if it would provide a more natural solution to the problem. I don't see any corals going in the tank for a few months until tank is well established.
Then again, I don't want to let it go too long and become a more serious problem. To be honest, the wife was thrilled that there is already something growing in the tank.
Peppermint shrimp are iffy. Just lemon juice it.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 of what MR. X said about aptasia, just take it out.

For your chaeto question, I would wait till cycles over. That little amount in these small tanks isn't going to do much IMO.

I also would loose the bio balls / max now if your going to do it later anyway, I maybe wrong, but I would think the bacteria (stable?) your adding will cling onto those, might not be much, but you'll loose all that bacteria that attached when you remove them.

I personally did not have any filtration during cycling my tanks, except floss when needed for sand etc.

Salinity a little low?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the info Paul. That makes sense... Should dump the bio balls now. Any thoughts on keeping biomax in media basket with chemipure and purigen? Will all the beneficial bacteria be in the tank/ROCk/sand and no artificial surface area?

Also.... Thanks for heads up on salinity. LFS guy said 1.018- 1.023 and I forgot to double check. Sounds like I need to shoot for 1.025. He was a nice guy and was really helpful for a relative rookie but I should have done my homework.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Newbie with biocube, unknown organism during cycle and set up

Sure.
I don't know what bio max is, so cant help ya there.

I just set up a nuvo 40, only added purigen & carbon (or chemipure) when i added my first fish.

Here is my media basket setup,
(after the tank cycled).
Right: Top-bottom: floss, purigen, carbon.
Left: i cut the basket & only run some floss as I have my probes in that chamber below the "mini" basket.

I do run gfo in a reactor as I don't think chaeto does much in such a small amount, My opinion.
(Only because my dry rock leaching a bit of phos).

Tags
cycle, newbie, biocube, newb, set up, unknown, cube, bio, organism

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com