newbie with lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought a coralife 1 x 65w light for my 26gal bow tank w/ 30lbs of LR. Tank has been up and running for about 3 months. Livestock includes 1 occelaris clown, 1 royal grama, 1 yellowtail blue damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and a few snails and hermit crabs. Is this enough lighting to promote coralline growth on my LR? What if a wanted to add a few soft corals eventually? If so, what would you recommend?

Your looking at about 2.5w per gallon IMO I would add another 65W but with your current setup I would say some mushrooms and polyps as far as the coraline goes yes you will get some coraline as long as your calcium is in check as well. HTH

I agree. A colt coral would probably do OK in there. I'd stick with the shrooms and zooanthids until I could add some more light though. If you do try some soft corals, be sure to place them up high in the tank.

Thanks for the response. Do you suggest I add some type of supplement in regards to calcium levels?

I actually had a 1-65 watt aqualight over a 26 bow front. The coral growth was very slow to none. They really only survived and did not thrive and grow. If you can upgrade to a dual 65 watt hood and the results will be much better!

I wish i would have known sooner. Also, funds were limited. My goal is to sustain and perhaps promote some coraline growth and eventually keep a few mushrooms at most. My lfs said it would be definately possible with the 1 x 65w. If it doesn't happen, I guess I'm outta gas since my wife said she would shoot me if I bought one more piece of hardware for my tank. :) :)

For coraline growth your lights should be enough as long as your CA and ALK are are reasonably balanced. Since your tank is not very large I would recommend getting yourself a test kit for both ca and alk and picking up a two part supplement such as ESV's B-ionic.

Back
Top Bottom