Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

newbie with lighting question

Just bought a coralife 1 x 65w light for my 26gal bow tank w/ 30lbs of LR. Tank has been up and running for about 3 months. Livestock includes 1 occelaris clown, 1 royal grama, 1 yellowtail blue damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and a few snails and hermit crabs. Is this enough lighting to promote coralline growth on my LR? What if a wanted to add a few soft corals eventually? If so, what would you recommend?

Old 11-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
Your looking at about 2.5w per gallon IMO I would add another 65W but with your current setup I would say some mushrooms and polyps as far as the coraline goes yes you will get some coraline as long as your calcium is in check as well. HTH

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree. A colt coral would probably do OK in there. I'd stick with the shrooms and zooanthids until I could add some more light though. If you do try some soft corals, be sure to place them up high in the tank.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. Do you suggest I add some type of supplement in regards to calcium levels?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:29 PM   #5

I actually had a 1-65 watt aqualight over a 26 bow front. The coral growth was very slow to none. They really only survived and did not thrive and grow. If you can upgrade to a dual 65 watt hood and the results will be much better!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #6

I wish i would have known sooner. Also, funds were limited. My goal is to sustain and perhaps promote some coraline growth and eventually keep a few mushrooms at most. My lfs said it would be definately possible with the 1 x 65w. If it doesn't happen, I guess I'm outta gas since my wife said she would shoot me if I bought one more piece of hardware for my tank.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
For coraline growth your lights should be enough as long as your CA and ALK are are reasonably balanced. Since your tank is not very large I would recommend getting yourself a test kit for both ca and alk and picking up a two part supplement such as ESV's B-ionic.

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com