Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Public aquariums using seawater use different filter methods including sand bed reactors (like a swinning pool filter) to remove impurities and harmful organisms that may find their way to your tank from the ocean.

That sais, I've heard of people doing it. I just don't how long they have gone without a problem.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I was young, and not too bright, I had a saltwater tank with some native critters. At the time, I lived on Cape Cod, so that meant a lobster, and some fish given to me by fisherman friends. I drove down to the shore once a week with 2 5-gallon buckets and scooped up whatever water I could get to. (This was lots of fun during the winter months...) Then I drove the buckets home, and did a water change. I kept it all going for just over a year, which is pretty amazing considering I had no knowledge of the cycle. Then everything died...I bet I scooped up something bad in one of the buckets, and did not know it. And as a side effect, all that salt water sloshing around in my car contributed to rotting floor boards...not a nice thing to do to a '69 Mustang. (Yes, I was a teenager, and I kick myself everytime I think about it now...)

Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buying live sand is a waste of money. It will all cycle together anyway. Start you tank off right and use salt mix. You don't want any problems before you even get fish.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to clark4feathers
I would say add sand before the shrimp. I would purchase sand from the LFS to make sure you do not bring in anything unusual. Same for the water. I know it makes no sense not to use the sea water however you do not know what exactly is in it. Be safe, not sorry
Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Theres a LFS near me that uses ocean water for their entire store and they even sell it but they also go out on a boat to get it.... i would not use anything near shore due to pollution and sewer runoff.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAVE853 View Post
Theres a LFS near me that uses ocean water for their entire store and they even sell it but they also go out on a boat to get it.... i would not use anything near shore due to pollution and sewer runoff.
Wow that's cool. If I only had an ocean nearby.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAVE853 View Post
I'm sure florida was must be so much cleaner than Los Angeles but I still would not trust Natural Ocean Water. Here, the water is collected by boat all the way out from the north side of Santa Catalina Island. You still get different water each time. Water can be polluted by so many different reason and you can still pick up unwanted organics in the water.

My opinion is if you mix or buy mixed water, there is no chance you will get anything unwanted.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com