Newbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankTastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Partner and I have never kept anything but goldfish before, but now have a 100l ReefMax setup nearly ready to go. (we think).

image-1335066306.jpg

Before I start I need some advise please. I bought 100l of already mixed water from my lfs where I got the tank. I have poured all this into my Aquael ReefMax and it's been running now for 3 days (I have been advised to leave it 10 days). I did how ever out of interest drop a Tetratec Comfort-Hydrometer in the water just now and it's readings are

Salinity = 23
Specific Gravity = 1.017

Can I ask what it's supposed to be ideally please? I would have thought the water from the shop that they use for their tanks would have been perfect.

Thanks.

thanks. How do I get the salinity up to where it needs to be. Our plan was to wait until 10 days had passed add the live sand, wait another 10 days add live rock, wait another 10 days add some (4) fish. Wait another 10 days add coral. Will my salinity increase if I wait longer as the tank cycles or do I need to do something to help??

You will need to add salt to get your salinity up. Unfortunately the schedule you mention above will lead to bad results. Your tank needs to completely cycle before you can add your fish and/or corals. You will need a test kit to measure your nitrogen parameters: Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Also, you need to go slow when setting up your tank. Adding 4 fish at once will overload your system very quickly.

Have you researched which fish you'd like to keep? Do you have enough light for the corals you want? These are some of the first steps you need to do to plan for your salt water tank.

We have as mentioned a ReefMax setup. I believe the lighting is adequate. The fish the shop recommended we take are 2xclown, 1xhumbug, 1xdamsel fish. All friends from the same tank already. We were told this tank should do most of the work for us. We don't mind the work just need to find out what we need to do and how. Lol. Reading through the FAQ's on the link now.

So is 50 days not enough to cycle the tank?

50 days may or may not be enough time. It all comes down to testing your water as you cycle. Without a proper cycle, your tank cannot accommodate those 4 fish at once if at all. Even if your tank was cycled, i would not add them all at once. You have to let your tank stabilize after the introduction of your fish. I would add the two clowns, then the other 2 fish a week or two later.

Thanks again. Another question. Will a power head/wavemaker help cycle my tank? I don't have one yet its in the post.

Yes, you need some type of circulation for your tank to cycle well...not to mention for the health of your tank/corals down the road. Will you be using a sump?

The head arrives hopefully Friday. So will put it straight in. Sump???

I like the top off water idea as this is something that is worrying me at the moment. But my tank has a built in protein skimmer and section full of bio balls. Do I need to do this process twice in a sump as well?

No you don't need to duplicate it. In-sump skimmers tend to work better than HOB versions. Or you could move the skimmer to the sump. Personally not a fan of bio-balls though. If you decide to keep them, make sure to clean them every now and then as they can become nitrate factories.

Back
Top Bottom