Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Newbies please read

I have been reading a lot of posts lately that are really starting to disturb me. People are keeping triggers in 29 gallon tanks and three tangs and other fish in a 55 gallon. Please research before you buy. These animals for the most part come from the wild and there populations are being depleted because of this kind of thing. I'm not saying I haven't made any mistakes in this hobby but I try to do the best for my fish. I have heard the saying "they all look healthy" looks can be very decieving. I had an angel who was eating and swimming around and appeared to be very healthy only to die in two days with no signs of disease. This forum is to help but you still need to research BEFORE you buy. Please let's all try to give our fish the best environment we can. Thank you

Old 08-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You should realize that many LFS's don't give out good information, and many of the good ones are so expensive on the hard goods end that people get turned off to the hobby. You don't generally find out about sites like these until well after you've been to a LFS and likely already started. I found it quite by accident myself.

Go easy on the new guys. Chastize them off the bat and they won't come back.

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think Edmonton is trying to chastise anyone here. There have been a lot of people lately that have purchased fish that are inappropriate for their tanks.
We all know that lfs sometimes delivers bad information. To avoid that, check here first for opinions and/or advice.
I think he just wants everyone from here on out on this forum to research and ask questions before making livestock purchases. We are all here to help and learn.

Mike
Old 08-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
unfortunately, alot of people ask the questions, don't like the answers and do what they want to anyway. Then they come with the problems...the same problems that could have been prevented in the first place.
I am not talking about one impulse buy, we have all done that. The fact is, there are those that just do not give a rats butt about the fish they buy...they just buy, and buy and buy. Then they come here and complain that the fish don't live very long, or they have diseased tanks, or that they got bad advice.

I agree with what edmonton is saying as it seems lately, we are preaching the same message on most of the threads and it does get frustrating. If people are going to get "run off" by reading this, then they probably wouldn't have taken the advice to begin with.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bet the number one cause of fish dieing in this hobby is due to fish in smaller tanks than needed. The rest of the problems branch out of that one. People want the big pretty tang/angel and the LFS willingly sells these fish without telling people it'll die unless you have the right tank and water quality. So the fish untimately suffer cause one, they're pretty...and two, cause everyone wants to make a profit. But this site needs to continue to pound that message into peoples head(min. tank size etc.). This site really has turned me into a responsible saltwater aquarist and that's a good thing. And for whatever it's worth, I'm slowly turning a friend into a more responsible aquarist as well; i'm preaching the word if you will.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This site really has turned me into a responsible saltwater aquarist and that's a good thing.
That is what this site is all about. 8)

Mike
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You don't generally find out about sites like these until well after you've been to a LFS and likely already started.
That was my case, hence cycling with damsels and cc instead of a dsb, but fortunately I found this site before I bought any other fish. Hopefully people will accept the information provided from this site, and realise that just because a fish is pretty doesn't mean that it belongs in your tank.

PS -> I wish I could have the queen angel that my lfs has in stock

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Well said haus. I think many of us ahve fouond this site after being frustarted by the lfs giving bad/contradicting advice. Anybody want 90 pounds of CC
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm absolutely not trying to chastize anyone I'm just trying to save people lots of headaches and wasted money and to save fish from needless deaths. I think lfs's should be held accountable for bad advice that leads to unneccessary deaths. I realise that they are running a bussiness and money talks but there has to be something in place to pursuade them from giving such terrible advice and don't get me wrong there are some very good ones that will tell you the truth but they seem to becoming fewer and farther between.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo
I'm absolutely not trying to chastize anyone I'm just trying to save people lots of headaches and wasted money and to save fish from needless deaths. I think lfs's should be held accountable for bad advice that leads to unneccessary deaths. I realise that they are running a bussiness and money talks but there has to be something in place to pursuade them from giving such terrible advice and don't get me wrong there are some very good ones that will tell you the truth but they seem to becoming fewer and farther between.
yeah, cause when they tell you your tank isn't big enough and this hobby is expensive to keep up...people go elsewhere with their money.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com