Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie's question regarding cycling and quarantine tank

Hi all,
I'm a new hatched SW "hobbist" (only starting). I have this question about cycling the main tank. Do i do any water changes to the main tank while its cycling? my main tank currently is at .75ppm for NH4 and .5ppm for NO2... would water change reduce the bacteria population in the main tank?
Another question is regarding the quarantine tank, since i'm having 1 clown fish and some 20+ cleaning crews in the main tank... so i want to move all of them into a temporary quarantine tank until the main tank is fully cycled. But am i doing the right thing, if i use the water from the main tank first, and everytime i do a 25% water change i use the saltwater i bought from LFS? or how should i do this right?
thank you all for the inputs!!

Old 09-16-2003, 02:28 PM   #2

First off what kind of tank do you have? How many lbs of LR, LS? If you have LR is it cured? How deep is your Sand bed?
When do you plan on getting the Live stock. IMO I would wait until the tank has finished it's cycle before you get any live stock.

Keep us informed

Peace

Edge

Old 09-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #3

I'm planning on having a reef and fish tank. its a 20 gal tank and right now, i have 20lb of LS (makes a 1.5"SB) and 18lb of LR which i assume it is cured, i bought it from LFS and they said those LR have been put into the curing process for at least 2-3 months in their store.
unfortunately, i have already purchased some livestocks ... so i want to get them out of the toxic environment asap.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I've read... you should be able to keep the livestock in your 10g tank but make sure you monitor the levels everyday and you will probably be doing a 10% water change every other day to keep your levels low enough to sustain life while you cycle your main tank.

Don't do water changes in your main tank until it is done cycling then you can do a big one, and slowly start introducing your livestock back to the main tank.
Does this answer your questions?

Tags
cycling, quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com