Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newby

Hello, my names kati lee. I started a 55 gallon salt water tank that is shown in my profile picture. The first fish I put in are 2 false percula clownfish, one peppermint shrimp, a hermit crab, and 2 little snails. About a month later I added a auriga butterfly fish and a lawnmower blenny. They were all doing great and swimming together. my auriga was swimming all over and eating a lot. Yesterday I added a condy anemone and an emerald crab. I woke up this morning and my auriga didn't come out of where he sleeps under a rock but he was moving his fins and breathing. 15 minutes later when I walked by the tank he was laying sideways on the bottom of the tank-still breathing though. I opened the top to net him out and be started swimming again! However, 5 mins later he was on the floor again. I read they sometimes die mysteriously but has anyone ever had this happen to them? Now I am freaking myself out thinking the clowns have ich. The clowns aren't acting any different however. D you think it was just the auriga?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA. Did you cycle your tank?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Yes. I bought about 50 pounds of cured liverock and had just water sand and liverock for about 3 months. The 2 big pieces had a lot of purple coralline algae and still continues to grow over the other ones. I did use tap water that had conditioner in it. What do you think?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

More info would help people give you advice. Have you tested your water parameters? If so can you post the results? How did you acclimate the Condy and the crab? Did you add any of the water in the bag to your display tank? Do you have a QT? Also, how old is the tank and what's your lighting? Anemones need strong lighting and pristine water conditions.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

I acclimated the crab and condy for an hour. Put the bag in my tank, added shot glass of water every 15 minutes. Then put them in a big bowl and lifted the anemone with my hand and gently placed in tank. Same with crab. I checked the water everything was showing perfect, only thing off was alkalinity. I'm assuming because I've been using tap water? Which I am switching to premixed saltwater at a local exotic pet store next water change. Temp is 78 degrees.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

I bought the led lighting system with the blue moon option. It was $500. I do not have a qt. I just acclimated them right into the main tank. I bought the first fish at the exotic pet store. (Percula and thrive rock) I bought the blenny and auriga from a different pet store.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I am not understanding, but when you thought it was cycling ( you mentioned 3 months with only live rock and sand), did you have an ammonia source (live fish, dead shrimp or adding ammonia? We're you testing your parameters? Have you done water changes?

If nothing was in there, it was not cycling and probably started once you added the clowns. When were they added? If its been about a month, then you are probably cycling and have high levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Clowns could handle that for a while...butterflies are not as hardy and would probably have issues and/or die with raised levels.

I've never had luck with Butterflies. Even adding to established tanks, they don't seem to do well for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

So your water test showed zero ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What LED lighting do you have? Not all are strong enough for nems, clams, and SPS.

Definitely change from tap water. Investing in a RODI unit is wise.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

There was no fish in the tank, so I guess it was not cycling. I added the clowns 2 small snails and 1 hermit and did leave them in there for a month before I added the butterfly and blenny. I've tested my ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites everyday and they've been perfect. I've been told that since there is so much live rock that that was why I wasn't getting much change in water. I wondered all day today how the tank was doing so well for being such a difficult hobby.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

Does live rock get ich?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com