Newby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kati Lee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my names kati lee. I started a 55 gallon salt water tank that is shown in my profile picture. The first fish I put in are 2 false percula clownfish, one peppermint shrimp, a hermit crab, and 2 little snails. About a month later I added a auriga butterfly fish and a lawnmower blenny. They were all doing great and swimming together. my auriga was swimming all over and eating a lot. Yesterday I added a condy anemone and an emerald crab. I woke up this morning and my auriga didn't come out of where he sleeps under a rock but he was moving his fins and breathing. 15 minutes later when I walked by the tank he was laying sideways on the bottom of the tank-still breathing though. I opened the top to net him out and be started swimming again! However, 5 mins later he was on the floor again. :( I read they sometimes die mysteriously but has anyone ever had this happen to them? Now I am freaking myself out thinking the clowns have ich. The clowns aren't acting any different however. D you think it was just the auriga?

Yes. I bought about 50 pounds of cured liverock and had just water sand and liverock for about 3 months. The 2 big pieces had a lot of purple coralline algae and still continues to grow over the other ones. I did use tap water that had conditioner in it. What do you think?

More info would help people give you advice. Have you tested your water parameters? If so can you post the results? How did you acclimate the Condy and the crab? Did you add any of the water in the bag to your display tank? Do you have a QT? Also, how old is the tank and what's your lighting? Anemones need strong lighting and pristine water conditions.

I acclimated the crab and condy for an hour. Put the bag in my tank, added shot glass of water every 15 minutes. Then put them in a big bowl and lifted the anemone with my hand and gently placed in tank. Same with crab. I checked the water everything was showing perfect, only thing off was alkalinity. I'm assuming because I've been using tap water? Which I am switching to premixed saltwater at a local exotic pet store next water change. Temp is 78 degrees.

I bought the led lighting system with the blue moon option. It was $500. I do not have a qt. I just acclimated them right into the main tank. I bought the first fish at the exotic pet store. (Percula and thrive rock) I bought the blenny and auriga from a different pet store.

Maybe I am not understanding, but when you thought it was cycling ( you mentioned 3 months with only live rock and sand), did you have an ammonia source (live fish, dead shrimp or adding ammonia? We're you testing your parameters? Have you done water changes?

If nothing was in there, it was not cycling and probably started once you added the clowns. When were they added? If its been about a month, then you are probably cycling and have high levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Clowns could handle that for a while...butterflies are not as hardy and would probably have issues and/or die with raised levels.

I've never had luck with Butterflies. Even adding to established tanks, they don't seem to do well for me.

So your water test showed zero ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What LED lighting do you have? Not all are strong enough for nems, clams, and SPS.

Definitely change from tap water. Investing in a RODI unit is wise.

There was no fish in the tank, so I guess it was not cycling. I added the clowns 2 small snails and 1 hermit and did leave them in there for a month before I added the butterfly and blenny. I've tested my ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites everyday and they've been perfect. I've been told that since there is so much live rock that that was why I wasn't getting much change in water. I wondered all day today how the tank was doing so well for being such a difficult hobby.

No, live rock can not get Ich, but Ich can drop off a fish and live in water or sand for a few weeks. Without a live host, it will eventually die. It looks like little white specs/pimples on your fish. Do your clowns have anything like that going on?

It seems odd that your parameters have been perfect. What are you using to test? When your tank cycles, parameters for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates increase and decrease. At points, all three should not be ideal, but you should end up with zero ammonia and nitrites and usually high nitrates, that usually get lowered by doing a big water change.

Hmm. I use the test strips which show ph, nitrates, nitrites, alkalinity. Then for testing ammonia I use test tube that I put 8 drops of solution in. That has gone up a little but barely. The clowns have little white speceles but it looks like its everywhere in tank like floating. I thought it was my tap or like old veggies flakes. I attached pics of clown and tank.

Attachments

• image-1458538462.jpg
    image-1458538462.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4042505658.jpg
    image-4042505658.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 67
Test strips are inaccurate. It's a great idea to buy a test kit and test everything separate. I've heard API kits are sometimes off, but its what I have for now (wish I had been here prior to that purchase) and it seems to be what all my LFS carry.

Back
Top Bottom