Newby with a small aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nativenuyorker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We purchased a small 10 gallon aquarium due to lack of money and space. I love looking at fish when I'm stressed so I would love to have colorful, hardy, and inexpensive fish to help alleviate my stress. I purchased the 10 gallon with a hood and filter that came with it but that's all I have. How should I start off? I would appreciate suggestions for fish, food, etc. I am on a budget, but there are great sales all this month at PetSmart. Thank you.

Not sure what your options are in salt water sorry, your gonna need a heater though. If you want fresh water get a betta fish. I'm sure others will chime in with saltwater suggestions if that's what you want

Betta

I have a betta in a small bowl. I thought that more than one male could not be kept together. Are they my only or best options? If so, I better exchange for a 20 gallon.
BTW, I'm not sure if I want saltwater or fresh. I was told by someone working at the pet store that I would have more options with salt water.

I wasn't suggesting you keep more than one in a tank, you posted in salt water so wasn't sure what suggestions you wanted. You could do a betta and a few small tetras or snails maybe.

You would have more options of SW fish if you had a larger tank. Saltwater is awesome and the fish have much more personality, color, etc. IMO. Plus the corals are amazingly vibrant and catches everyone's attention. Very relaxing, but the cost isn't so much. SW is expensive, requires patience, maintenance and can be difficult at times b/c the fish, inverts, corals are more sensitive than FW fish. For those reasons, I recommend going FW. SW fish are usually around $10-20+. Most freshwater fish are not more than $5. If you want to go with sw I suggest researching and doing some DIY projects if you're up to it. Best of luck to you :).

With that tank your best to stay fresh water. I'd look at some different tetras probably until you were ready to upgrade to a larger tank.

Although a 10 or 20 gal will support SW, I agree fresh is probably your best option. You can get better bang for the buck in FW. and they're much easier for a first time owner. A few tetras and raspbora fish and some plants can be relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom