Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Red face newcomer

hi, im new on here, im wanting advice for a coral reef im wanting to start building on, approx 48" x 24" x 24"....
i have been doing abit of research, but i want to start on building up the sump, but im not sure what size to use, and the order in which it ought to be layed out....ro, uv, p.skimmer, heater, media, etc, and how to keep it running perfectly. i am also prob going to need a refugium,
can anyone help me ? and hopefully advice on the brands, size etc
then its pen and paper time !
its all very confusing, but iv got the basic hang of it,
i just want to get the most important bit planned out properly.
thank you so much.......

julief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
Here is a link to get your head spinning and clear up a few things...
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moving this to the "Getting started" forum. Welcome aboard and that Link that Scott gave you will help tremendously.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
I don't like to have the sump take up the entire floor space of the stand so a 40g-55g will fit nicely (Unless you have a 36" tall stand, stick with a 20" sump height). The refugium can be incorporated into the sump. A UV is not necessary. For a protein skimmer look into Bubble King, Octopus, Vertex, Eshopps, AquaC, Euroreef, and ASM. For heating you'll need (2) Finnex 150w titanium heaters with a Ranco/Aqualogic controller. For media all you'll need is carbon, which can either be purchased at BulkReefSupply or Seachem's Matrix. I recommend this to put the carbon in: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Two_Little_Fishies_Phosban_Re actor_150_Phosphate_Reactors~vendor~Two_Little_Fis hies~idProduct~TL4311~idCategory~FIFRISPR.html

I also prefer filter socks, but that is personal choice: 16" 100 MICRON FELT FILTER BAG W/RING: Premium Aquatics

If you need anything else just ask
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com