Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey guys,

I have one more question for the time being! I have read the fishless cycling of the tank but I'm a bit lost. I have been assured by my LFS that seeing how I purchased 35 pounds of cured live rock that was placed in water from a coral reef tank (which was also added to the tank) that it would cycle just like that. Also seeing how there is so much live cured rock/and some water from a reef tank that has been cycled it will be a couple of days to a week to cycle. Is this accurate? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The water is not gonna help cycle you any faster. The live rock can though. I used LR for my very first saltwater tank and also dosed pure ammonia and I was cycled in a week. the live rock I had was from a many years old reef tank that someone had just broken down.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #13

Thanks Carey! How much pure ammonia should I be putting in to get it up? Also, will the ammonia levels go down by themselves without water changes? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What you are doing by dosing pure ammonia or using a dead shrimp is getting the ammonia in your tank to hit a high enough level like 4ppm so that the nitrite bacteria convert it to nitrites. Then the nitrate bacteria converts the nitrite to nitrate. The ammonia levels will eventually go to 0 all by themselves as well as the nitrites. What this leaves is nitrates which is what your water changes remove. Macro algae also can consume the nitrates as well.

There a great sticky on this forum about cycling a sw tank.

Ammonia conversion to nitrate

Cycle your salt tank

Give them a quick read they are invaluable articles.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

Thanks Carey, your such a stress reliever! I have been listening to my LFS and he told me that you can cycle the tank with just the live cured rock. It just didn't seem to me that it would do anything to the tank without actually adding something or doing something to the water. Is it actually possible to let the tank just run with the cured live rock and have it cycle?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, it is possible. the die off from the liver rock can produce ammonia all by itself BUT it could take some time. I liked having the exact dose and getting to 4ppm under my own control.

You can also throw a dead shrimp from the seafood department in and it will also produce ammonia too. In my opinion it doesnt give you as much control over the amount of ammonia.

It's entirely up to you. people cycle all three ways.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #17

So it has been almost 2 weeks into the cycle (first in this lifetime!) and there is some really nasty stuff growing in the tank! I tested the water today and the nitrates 40, nitrites 0, ph 8.8 (seems high!), ammonia 0. Because I went away for the weekend I actually have not seen the ammonia go past .25 BUT when I left the tank was totally clean and when I came back it was disaster! I have added some pics of it. Should I be getting a clean up crew in soon to get rid of it? I also placed in another shrimp just to be on the safe side because I honestly didn't see it go past .25 personally (should I be leaving it or take it out?). Any advice/ideas/input would be great! Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3968.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	49126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3965.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	49127  

Name:	Black outlined.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	49128   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	49129  

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #18

Hey All! Hope everyone is well!

I have added some new additions to the tank! I have a pistol shrimp, a yellow watchman goby (who actually is not yellow in color?), fire shrimp and a six line wrasse. The pistol has actually dug tunnels under all the rock and made a mess of the sand bed! But I am happy to say that him and the goby have made a relationship! The fire shrimp and the pistol actually had a nasty little conversation but the pistol figured out he is too small to take him on and the fire knows it too! To be honest, I think the fire sits outside the pistol's doorway on purpose! The wrasse is doing great, he is very active and even found a place in the rocks to sleep. I have posted a few pictures of them!

Does anyone know if gobys are territorial? This one seems to try and go after the wrasse with his mouth open!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6 lines swimming.jpg
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	49843   Click image for larger version

Name:	watchman goby in tank first time.jpg
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	49844  

Name:	fire shrimp in bag.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	49845   Click image for larger version

Name:	pistol shrimp in bag.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	49846  

Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats all the goby will do, is the open mouth threatening thing, thats what they do. LOL I find it hilarious

Nice pickups!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #20

Thanks Carey!

He does look funny with his big mouth wide open and then flies back to his hole with his new friend. He is just so stinking cute!!! Just making sure he wouldnt hurt the wrasse! Does anyone know if the goby will change yellow eventually? Because right now he is just a silvery color. The guy at the lfs said it was because he was still a baby but I'm not so sure about that!

Tags
29 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com