Newly started aquarium black slimey algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badambomb79

Aquarium Advice Regular
So we started up a 40 breeder a couple months ago. 40 pounds live rock and sand. Anyways my parameters are pretty level. But I'm getting algae outbreaks and bubbles all over my rocks what is is this stuff? And his do I fix it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409445446.128019.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409445458.360478.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409445477.755639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So we started up a 40 breeder a couple months ago. 40 pounds live rock and sand. Anyways my parameters are pretty level. But I'm getting algae outbreaks and bubbles all over my rocks what is is this stuff? And his do I fix it?View attachment 248535View attachment 248536View attachment 248537

Hard to tell in your pictures but it looks like Dino's and Cyano mixed together.
How much flow do you have in the tank?
Water changes?
Parameters, "pretty level" doesn't do much.

Have 2 hydor koralia 240s. No ammonia. Fluval 306 canister filter. Only life in the tank is 2 chromis

Try to do 10 gallons a week water changes

Ammonia wont cause this. You need to test for nitrates and phosphates, how long has the tank been running? What is you lighting schedule?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost 3 months. Lighting 10-12 hrs a day with led

PH level 8.4
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Ammonia is 0 ppm
Nitrate is 0 ppm

Any ideas what causes this nasty algae ? What to do to control it?

IME excess nutrients is what causes cyano bacteria. How often do you feed and how much?

Try to turn the lights off for a couple of days, then for a week just actinic and slowly start your light cycle again....
Do you have corals? IME don't need to have the lights on for that long

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This tank is just starting up no corals just 2-3 chromis. Just trying to cycle it this nuisance algae started while cycling. Can I add some hermit crabs and snails to help the outbreak?

Is the tank completely cycle?
If not no point add snail and crab they will die....try to turn the lights off for a couple of days,

Ok I'm going to reduce the amount of time the lights are on. Getting a phosphate test kit from amazon hopefully that will be here soon so I can tell if the phosphates are high the tank is cycled it's be running since Easter

Oh, cycle should be over....
You should cut off the feeding also, sounds like you have too much nutrients in the tank...do you clean the canister often?
How often you feed the fish?
If you turn the light off completely for a couple of day the algae should die off and is not going to effect the fish..
Give a try

Ok yeah I'm worried about the fish not getting light. But I feed a few pellets at night so there's no leftovers. Canister filter gets cleaned every 3 weeks.

Sounds good.... Do you use tap water for your water changes?

Rodi water for top off and premix ing the salt for water changes

Sounds good,

Do some 25-30% water changes as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok yeah I'm worried about the fish not getting light. But I feed a few pellets at night so there's no leftovers. Canister filter gets cleaned every 3 weeks.

Canisters need to be cleaned weekly in sw, they'll trap detritus and leach nutrients back into the system.

Back
Top Bottom