Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

NEXT FISH A CLOWN???

Would it be ok to add a pair of true percs to my 75 gallon? I have a 1 lemon, 1 yellow tail, and 1 blue damsel. The blue is kinda proctive of his part of the tank. They are all about 1 inch or less. Would it be better to add something else first? I might be going to the fish store today and i cant find any info on this anywhere! Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't see a problem with that. Damsels can sometimes be quite aggressive, but as damselfishes, clownfish can be just as mean. In my 29 g, my pair of percs get along just fine with a lemon and blue damsel. The blue damsel is a little mean toward the lemon, but doesn't mess with the clowns at all (and you have quite a bit more room than me). Clownfish are also extremely hardy. I think they would certainly be the best fish to add next.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I add the pair of clowns now, could I still add a less agresive fish later?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's never a good idea to add a less aggressive fish to an established tank of more aggressive fish, unless you are willing to remove one or the other if needed. What kind of fish are you thinking of adding later? I think a psuedochromis makes a nice last addition to many tanks.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with Phases, the most aggresive should go last.
You could try and if the damsel is after them too much, you could always take him back to you LFS. They are most likely used to this type of return.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can i put the blue damsel in a breader net while I put in the clowns? Would this help? I have no problem catching them because I feed them out of a net at least once a week.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Blues are a pain - very territorial. Try shaking up the territory a bit by rearranging the live rock right before you add the clowns. Cute trick - works great.

I agree that if you plan to add any other less aggressive fish, do so before you add the clowns. Percs and small sebaes seem to more easily accept new fish than do any of the other clowns.

Enjoy,
JG
Old 01-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

IME, percs are not as aggressive as other clowns. I agree, you definitely want to consider what fish you plan to add in the future and add the less aggressive first. In yout case with the damsels you may already have the most aggressive fish already. A lot of people do this though as damsels are very hardy and usually recommended as starter fish by those that do not use a fishless cycle.

As with all rules/guidelines there are exceptions. I had a domino damsel early on and added most of my fish after that including a green clown goby. Take a look at what I have in my 75g currently all get along. I do plan to move out some fish as they grow to prevent future issues due to size. I would not recommend stocking this heavy. Learning experience for me before I knew better.

I would say try it and just be prepared to step in if trouble does erupt. If you do not already, I would also suggest using a QT and leave it setup so you can move fish back to it if you do have aggression problems.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with everything that is said above about adding most aggressive last. If you cant I have read of som tricks that might be helpful. Use a plastic pasto colander(strainer) and float it in the tank and put the aggresive fish in it for a couple of hours while the new fish get acclimated to the surroundings. Once he is confined change the aquascaping so once he is released it is new for him as well and not just his territory.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The thing you said about the strainer is what I plan to do with the breader net. I did a fishless cycle. I bought the three damsels because it was a new shipment of fish at the lfs and the 3 damsels where way outsized and started to get picked on. I think I will take back the blue if I have truble with the clowns. The other 2 damsels(lemon and yellow tail) are very shy and get along very well/share hiding spaces. Will the clowns pick on a blenny if I where to get one later? Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com