Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
They will definitely grow some. Unless you have a very large tank or stock very lightly I do not think most will make it to max size in the typical aquarium. In the case of my Orange shoulder it has almost doubled in 6+ months since I bought it. I think the numbers listed on live aquaria are ideals for in the wild or perfect aquarium setting. I would go with about a 3/4 or so guideline of that.

Curious to here what other say.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
As a general rule do the fish grow to the max length listed on sites like liveaquaria (ie Blue Tang, 1') or when in the aquarium are they limited in growth
You got it. In a large tank like a public aquarium), fish can grow to close to what they would in the wild. A too small system will certainly stunt their growth accordingly and shorten their lifespan somewhat.
Like if you buy a 6" blue tang , will it pretty much stay 6" once its in a tank, or will it grow more.
It may grow more, depends on its diet, water quality, system size and general level of care.
Personally, I like to buy my fish as juveniles, its fun to watch them grow and mature. It also encourages collectors to leave the adult fish in the sea. Of course more folks would have to agree with my philosophy in order to have that effect.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
I highly agree (although my stock may not) with quarryshark. I am dealing the HLLE on my Koran and it pains me cause he is still a baby. I could easily buy one in the midst of changing or full grown...but it wouldn't be the same as watching them mature. Same goes for my bamboo....I may not keep him forever since he will possibly outgrow the tank. But when looking at adding more stock, his swimming area at full size it what I take into most consideration.

My current project underway
180 SW
2 overflows wet/dry ETSS skimmer Mag18 pump 2 Stealth Titanium heaters
Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
and the almighty domino Damsel
the21kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com