Next Fish Suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for some suggestions for my next fish to get.
I have a 72 gallon tank currently housing a bicolor dwarf angel (3-4" long) , and three blue/green reef chromis (3/4" each). I'm looking into getting a clownfish or two, a firefish, and either a auriga butterfly or a blue tang. Which of these two fish would be a better addition to my tank? The blue tang looks nice but I'm concerned about its susceptibility to ich and other diseases.

Any help is appreciated.

A bit on the small size for a blue tang, I asume you are refering to the Atlantic Blue Tang or a Hippo Tang? They get huge!! 8O
A pair of tang raised Perc Clowns would be nice, the Firefish would be very cool.
The B-fly fish is a tough one, limited sucess. How about a Dottyback such as the Royal Gramma?

I am a clown fan myself. I have a pair of Maroons and love them. What is your long term fish wish list? The maroons can be somewhat aggressive so any smaller fish you would want such as a fire fish (cool fish) should go in first.

2 more chromis might be something to consider as well. I have 5 and they make a great school. If you want a butterfly, have you considered an Heniochus? I think they are one of the neater butterflies and fairly hardy as butterflies go.

If you want a butterfly, have you considered an Heniochus? I think they are one of the neater butterflies and fairly hardy as butterflies go.
Not meaning to step on your toes, but I have 2 of these fish and I really do not think they would be happy in a 72 gallon. Very active swimmer and they get quite big. Plus they do better in pairs or small schools.
JMO

afilter,
I understand that and would have suggested the same a year ago. My opinion comes from watching my fish grow, seeing how hyperactive they are and having seen this fish at full adult size.
Nothing against liveaquara, but they seem to tweek tank sizes a bit....they have fish to sell. :wink:

Royal Gramma, royal gramma, royall gramma!!! You can also look at a purple firefish or some type of goby. Gotta love those clownfish. Oh...how about a royal gramma??

ok, glad i asked then, haha when starting out a year or two ago i would i have never thought 72 gallons of water would be too small. So what your suggesting then is to get a bunch of smaller fish?

lando,

Just to make sure I have this right....are you suggesting a royal gramma? :D

BTW, 72gal is not necessarily is not small, we all just want too many fish. As for fish size the yellow tang gets to a decent size and if you go with a maroon clown than can get 6"+

I think we are all suggesting smaller fish because you asked for next fish suggestion, and you usually want to add smaller fish first based on temperament. If you do stick with all smaller fish you can have more of them. :wink:

Yea, my original plan was to try and get one bigger fish and a few smaller ones, I got the bicolor angel about a year ago with the hopes it would grow bigger and it has only grown a little bit I dont think hes growing much more.

As a general rule do the fish grow to the max length listed on sites like liveaquaria (ie Blue Tang, 1') or when in the aquarium are they limited in growth.Like if you buy a 6" blue tang , will it pretty much stay 6" once its in a tank, or will it grow more.

Thanks

They will definitely grow some. Unless you have a very large tank or stock very lightly I do not think most will make it to max size in the typical aquarium. In the case of my Orange shoulder it has almost doubled in 6+ months since I bought it. I think the numbers listed on live aquaria are ideals for in the wild or perfect aquarium setting. I would go with about a 3/4 or so guideline of that.

Curious to here what other say.

HTH,

As a general rule do the fish grow to the max length listed on sites like liveaquaria (ie Blue Tang, 1') or when in the aquarium are they limited in growth
You got it. In a large tank like a public aquarium), fish can grow to close to what they would in the wild. A too small system will certainly stunt their growth accordingly and shorten their lifespan somewhat.
Like if you buy a 6" blue tang , will it pretty much stay 6" once its in a tank, or will it grow more.
It may grow more, depends on its diet, water quality, system size and general level of care.
Personally, I like to buy my fish as juveniles, its fun to watch them grow and mature. :) It also encourages collectors to leave the adult fish in the sea. Of course more folks would have to agree with my philosophy in order to have that effect. :)

I highly agree (although my stock may not) with quarryshark. I am dealing the HLLE on my Koran and it pains me cause he is still a baby. I could easily buy one in the midst of changing or full grown...but it wouldn't be the same as watching them mature. Same goes for my bamboo....I may not keep him forever since he will possibly outgrow the tank. But when looking at adding more stock, his swimming area at full size it what I take into most consideration.

Back
Top Bottom