Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Next step...want some opinions

Ok, my sump will be completed in about a week, and I'm going on to the next step to start the aquarium. The only 2 things on my list until I can actually START the cycling process are:

1) Lighting (4x96w PCs, 3x250w MH, on a 120/125gal tank)
2)Some LiveRock to seed my baserock/kick-start my cycle

Should I buy the lights first, or go ahead and get the LR and have the cycle begin prior to buying the lights? Thanks for the opinions!

Old 01-03-2004, 01:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
I would have both simply because in my opinion your going to have more die off without the lights. How long do you plan on leaving it in the dark. If it is GOOD liverock, it wont take as long as you think to cycle and you willl lose some life without the lights. Even if you could get JUST the PC's first with the live rock and than add the MH's. That should be fine

http://community.webshots.com/user/catfish6661
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I'm a complete moron. I completely forgot that I wasn't buying a complete hood setup, and that I can buy them seperately now. LOL. That's what I'll do. I'll buy the PCs (they'll only be actinic/03 supplements though...is this ok?) now, then the LR, and then the MH when I rebuild the reef fund. Cool deal.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

How much base rock and how much LR are you planning?
What's your substrate and what filtration are you using?
Most recommendations I've seen are to cycle LR with lights OFF to prevent algae growth.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cycled my tank with partially cured liverock only and no lights. It took about 4 weeks. I did not get any algae growth until I added the lights. It saved some work.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got about 140lbs. of base rock hangin' out (not using all of it, and it is ULTRA porous). I'm going to use enough of it to just about fill the tank, and then I'll add the LR on top of it. Substrate is aragonite sand, approx 4-5", and filtration is DSB, LR, and a Berlin XL powered by a mag-drive 9.5. I know about leaving lights off during cycle, but if I get any hitchhiking corals or anything, I want to at least have _some_ light available if I want to kick it on. I've got an RO/DI 6-stage and I'm hoping this will inhibit at least some of the algal growth.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com