Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Next Steps - 30gallon start up

Tank is full. Readings are all zero and sg looks good. I have the following equipment hooked up: AquaC Remora 800, Hydor 600, heater. I also have a Fluval cannister filter available, but would that be overkill on a 30g?

I am hoping to pick up some live rock next week, if the person selling it isn't sold out. From what I have been reading, I just place the rock in the tank and then be diligent with cleaning up the debris and monitoring the water reading. Also, I should through in some shrimp or other seafoody pieces to feed the critters on the rocks.

If this all goes well, how quickly should I think about adding a cleaner crew and fish?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
ive never heard of too much filtration. you shouldnt need to add any food for the LR critters. be sure to check your parameters after you add the rock. you shouldnt add a CUC until you see a bit of algae so they have something to eat. it could take around a week to get the algae that you want, but thats not 100%. a fish could follow in a week or two depending on how the tank adjusts to the CUC. what are you planning on getting for the tank?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Is the rock fully cured and how will you be getting?
I would suggest you add the rock and a pinch of food, test for ammonia in 3-4 days, if ammonia is present you will need to fully cycle the tank before adding critters. When the cycle is complete, you can add a very small clean up crew and add more later as the tank matures.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rock is coming from somebody near by that is tearing down their tanks and selling the rock. It is still in their tank and fully established. It will be about a 20 minute transit time.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ok, either bring it back in buckets of SW or wrap in moist newspapers, to reduce die-off.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com