next tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's not going to be for a while now, but i thought i'd start saving.....

Im planning on getting a 150 gal tank around xmas time.....
I am just curious what i should be using as for powerheads, heaters, skimmers, sump equipment, lighting(This tank I want mh lighting, not pc..)
also, how many lbs of rock alltogether??

Im looking for an amount that id be looking at so i know in advance....

one more thing, is it true that if I had a 150 gal. tank, would i need a wavemaker???

tia,
ant

We need more info. What type of tank do you plan on having? Reef, FOWLF? This will make a huge differnce in the items we recommend and the amount of $$ it will take.
how many lbs of rock alltogether??
225-300lbs all together for great diological filtration.
is it true that if I had a 150 gal. tank, would i need a wavemaker???
Wavemakers are always nice. :lol:

oakt it will be a reef with fish, and a glass tank, not acrylic...i need it to be as cheep as possible...150 gal long not tall, and a rectangle....not bowfront, does this help at all?

oh, and one other thing, it will most likely be predrilled...no more overflow boxes for me, I dont really like teh look it gets too much algea, IMO.

I think general rules are
LR 1-2 lbs per gallon

Powerheads 10X per each gallon = so you'll want to pump 1500 gallons an hour, each mj 1200 pumbs i beleive around 300 an hour, so maybe 5-6 MJ 1200's.

Lighting - around 5 watts per gallons, 750 watts.

best thing to do, is when looking through the posts, note what people use in there tank, like me and you have our specs written down, note what other people have in a 150 gallon tank.

Good luck, and im JEALOUS. :roll:

thats supposed to read Powerheads should have ten times the flow rate per gallon, i dont know why it showed up like that.

OKAY....thanks...also, i prolly wont have this tank ready to cycle untill text summer, i just want to get a rough idea on cost so i can start saving my pennies :mrgreen:

you said 5-6 maxi jets???that seems it would be crowding the tank....is there anything else i can use for powerheads that wont take up much room??

and thanks for all the help..anyone with experience with a 125-150 gal. tank PM me with some info or post!!! :fadein:

Ant

I would do a closed loop with something like a mag 18 instead of 6 powerheads. That will eliminate your clutter. Just be sure to get the bulkhead predrilled so you will not have a bulky intake. If you put the loop pump in the sump you may want a larger pump due to head pressure.. Hey that rhymed :)

Back
Top Bottom