night noises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemichris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the night when i lay next to my tank i hear clicking noises as if my glass is cracking. Havent found any cracks lol. Can someone tell me what this noise is.

A mantis or pistol shrimp. This means, don't stick you hand in your tank until you get it out. If you search google for Mantis Shrimp Traps, you should find a bunch of detailed explanations of traps. Regardless, you want to find out what it is, asap.

What are some signs to look for to see if i have a mantis shrimp I inspected my tank last night when i heard the clicking noises. Didnt see anything at all and i noticed that all my inverts are still alive. My cleaner shrimp go around the tank and havent been eatin. PLease help me

What are some signs

Clicking, like the others said. This could be snails's shells clicking on the glass, or PHs hitting the glass.

What are some signs to look for to see if i have a mantis shrimp

Missing critters.

is your heater loose? perhaps banging on the glass... as well as the snails running around is a very likely cause.

It could also definately be a pistol shrimp, I have one that came in on my LR that I didn't find for months, but had the night clicking.

Either a pistol or a mantis shrimp. The majority of pistol shrimp are fish/reef safe. Mantis, however, will prey on both invertebrates and fish. Try using a flash light after lights out, when you hear the noises, to see if you can identify the source. FWIW with 85 lbs. of LR it would really surprise me if you did not have either a pistol or Mantis hitchhiker, if not both.

I located the source of the clicking noises. It comes from the snails with thier shells banging aganist the glass

Back
Top Bottom