Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JEurope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrate is 0 ppm if I'm reading correctly that's good. I was told by my lfs that it should be 5 ppm. Can I have some input please. Thanks

0 is perfect. A lot of people's test kits can't read in the decimal range so a reading of 0 isn't uncommon in a cycled tank.

I thought you didn't want 0 nitrAtes in a saltwater tank. .05 or lower but I thought some corals need nitrates to thrive.

I've read there is such a thing as too clean

My tank has cycled, I did a water change and clean skimmer yesterday. Just checked my level again and got a 0.00ppm again. I use a Red Sea algae control test kit.

I am talking about a reading of 0 on common test kits. Yes, some corals need a little "dirt" in the water. I believe phosphates are more important for corals though. They definitely need phosphates, im not positive about nitrate though.

crister13 said:
I am talking about a reading of 0 on common test kits. Yes, some corals need a little "dirt" in the water. I believe phosphates are more important for corals though. They definitely need phosphates, im not positive about nitrate though.

Ok I'm gonna look into this lol. I always thought no phosphates and some nitrates lol. Maybe I have it wrong. Phosphates will bring algae so I've always kept them at zero, I've always allowed some nitrates since day 1 and you've seen my tank. I've tried to keep my nitrates to .05.

I'll do some research and of you have any links or such please share!

Thanks' always willing to learn new things so I can share with others.

The Con

Thanks guys, that link gave some good information. Seems that my question allowed each one of us to learn something. Thanks greatly for the input.

JEurope said:
Thanks guys, that link gave some good information. Seems that my question allowed each one of us to learn something. Thanks greatly for the input.

Your very welcome. You NEVER stop learning!

:)

Back
Top Bottom