Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nitrate!!!

Ive just tested everything an its all perfect exept my nitrate is 15ppm everything in tank seems fine my shrimp turbos hermits an fish but its really stressed me will it be ok ??? I wont feed them tmro wil it go down dont understand why its gone up i dont over feed an only did a water change on sat

Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The nitrate can be up to 20ppm do u mean nitrite and are u using a API master liquid kit?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nitrate is the one mean the kit im useing is colombo aqua test im getting a better kit on sat when im payed its ok but i need a better one i thought it had to be on ten ppm so thats de stressed me abit long as my shrimps an that are ok just hate anything going wrong ahhh
Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

15 is perfectly fine the only reason you would want it lower is if you were keeping corals.Don't stress there are alot of people with their nitrates much higher and the fish are fine. Feed every other day that will help.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The nitrates wont go down until you do a water change, just skipping a day feeding wont do it.

15 isnt horrible, I have never had a fish die from nitrates so you should be fine. Some critters like sea slugs are very sensitive to nitrates but other than that most guys can get by with a higher than normal reading.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aw thanks guys i always freak out you get well attached to them though i was going to go get water i get it from the fish place ready mixed so il go tmro after work an do a water change have a turbo snail will he be ok ? Its usually spot on not sure whats caused it to go higher havent fed the today anyway
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss cruz View Post
Aw thanks guys i always freak out you get well attached to them though i was going to go get water i get it from the fish place ready mixed so il go tmro after work an do a water change have a turbo snail will he be ok ? Its usually spot on not sure whats caused it to go higher havent fed the today anyway
It's just from decaying crud in the tank that caused it to rise. The turbo snail will be perfectly fine. I had 2 in my tank when my nitrates spiked to about 50 and everything in my tank was perfectly fine; not that I would want to keep it that high.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com