Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspire0522

Aquarium Advice Regular
on day 5 of my cycle... Ammonia = .5 , Nitrite = 5 + , Nitrate = 20ppm, Alk = 107.4ppm and PH = 8.0 SG = 1.023
day 10 all is the same except Nitrate has dropped down to 5.0 is this normal for nitrates to drop during a cycle? i still have my 3 krill in the tank is it time for them to come out? also i top off about a gallon a day do to evap (ro/di). thanks

I think that you're probably getting false nitrate readings which can happen when you have nitrite present. There really isn't much reason to test for nitrate this early in the cycle. It's more useful as you near the end of the cycle. Your readings won't be reliable until the nitrite is gone, or at least mostly gone anyway.

hey thanks coldfish.. had no idea nitrite would effect the readings of other test. As for testing the nitrate... new test kit.. had to play with it just once!! or twice (= what about the krill, would leaving them in to long prolong the cycle?

inspire0522 said:
what about the krill, would leaving them in to long prolong the cycle?
Once the cycle is complete the krill will only add to your no3 levels but will not prolong anything. When you get 0 nh3/no2 readings and if they haven’t dissolved you can either take them out or leave them, it’s up to you really. I’d do a 50% pwc a day or two before adding fish.

If you don’t plan on getting fish right away I would keep them in to keep your cycle going or else you might experience another mini-cycle when adding fish.

Now would be a good time to add a fish to a qt tank while waiting for your tank to cycle ;)

thanks tecwzrd, just what i needed to know... i do have a 10g QT thats been up for almost a year... well its my QT now that i have this other tank going.. and 1 marron clown on stand by... thanks for taking the time to post... i know these questions must get answered over and over again, but your knowledge is very much appreciated :wink:

Back
Top Bottom